E-link failure to program accessory decoder

welsh vic

I have connected my E-link successfully to my lap top running Windows 10 and can control all of my 11 locos at the same time.  Unfortunately I have failed to program the accessory decoders to operate the points.  I can successfuly read the decoder and ir sets up as ID 12.1 with ports 1 to 4 and pulse rate at 100 then with the decoder connected to the Prog side of the E-Link as instructed and then press the program button wait for several hours and nothing happens.

Any suggestions or help.

welsh vic

Out of the box the R8247 is factory programmed to ports 1 to 4 and configured to operate solenoid points with a pulse of 100ms.

So what do you want to change the configuration to?

Have you tested the R8247 using the default factory 1 to 4 addresses, does it work using those?

When you are trying to test the R8247 have you got it connected to the main track output of the eLink?

Hi Vic, welcome to the forums and what brand of accessory decoder do you have?  Chris has assumed the Hornby R8247 but your mention of a program button suggests to me maybe not, if that button is on the decoder. If it is, you can ignore anything about connecting it to the eLink programming output as it programs on the main track.  

Follow its instructions to put it into programming mode, probably by pressing and holding that programming button, then all you will need to do is throw the point you want it to control by clicking on it on your RM layout diagram to throw it, switching it back to run mode and it will be done.

To do that, you will first have to set up your points in RM layout design mode, attaching their point buttons and giving them the address you want. 

But first please tell tell us the brand of decoder, Chris and I can't both be right. 

If Fishy's interpretation is correct and the decoder is not a Hornby one and has a physical 'program' button on the decoder itself, Then these type of 'self learning' decoders have been documented (how to set them up) many times on the forum. If you specify the brand and model, it may be one that has already been documented on here. In which case we can provide you a link to the appropriate forum page. If not previously documented then we can direct you to some generic configuration instructions.

PS - I did see the reference to 'program button' but read that to mean the 'soft' button in RailMaster.

Archived