DCC Programming R8247 Decoder

Hi Guys,

I am new to DCC and have recently installed Hornby Railmaster using a ELink controller.

The programming of trains has not been an issue BUT I have just installed a Hornby R8247 decoder. Here lies the problem. I have programmed the first 4 port decoder numbering ports      5 - 8 and second 9 - 12. using each point to control on set of points. I have used the black wire as the common wire (using middle socket).

On testing the points I have noted that the point motor throws the point in one direction nicely but when I attempt to switch back nothing happens.

What have a done wrong or missed.

Any advice would be appreciated.    

Points only firing in one direction is a classic mis-wiring issue. Are you by chance using Peco track and point motors. If you are, then Peco use 'Green' for the common return on the R8247 centre terminal and not 'Black'. See this previous post that explains all (5th post down on the page).

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/surface-point-motors/?p=1

If you are using Hornby track and point motors, then 'Black' is the correct colour for the common return. So if that is correct, are you using Hornby R8243 surface mounted point motors. If you are, they can become sticky in one direction if the mounting screws are too tight. If the screws are too tight, the motor case flexes and can trap the soft iron solenoid slug within the motor. Loosen the screws so that the motor is secure but can still move slightly.

If your issue is neither of these, then I am not sure what more to suggest except check your point motor alignment. The R8247 is not a particularly powerful accessory decoder and point motor alignment is critical for efficient operation.

• 5 years later...

Gerry, you have posted this on the end of a thread about the Hornby points and accessory decoder, so it is well hidden from anyone who knows anything about vent vans.

Suggest you start a new thread in the DCC forum (not this RM forum) titled “Sounds not Operating on Vent Van 2”.