New Cairn Gorm R3388TTS keeps beeping

AdeRail

Hi

im concerned because i have just tried out my brand new Hornby Cairn Gorm class 67 and it travelled 3 metres then stopped then keeps making my elink flash while the loco itself keeps beeping.... plus it gets hot too...

Whats wrong with it?

I would say it is self protecting due to a motor short, hence the decoder is 'rebooting' the engine start sequence which commences with a series of warning beeps, presumably to tell 00 people near the engine it is going to start.

Before sending it back just have a quick look for any debris in the wheel pickups, but it sounds to me like an internal fault causing a decoder overload.

The fault transferring to a DC track supports this. Of course there is no sound on DC so you just see the tripout.

Rob

Well it's stopped beeping, just doesn't work at all now  😬

On dc it shorts the power supply as it is placed on the track in one direction but just buzzes in the other direction, 

Are faulty brand new dcc sound locos like this a common thing?

im waiting for Rails to get back to me but I suspect they won't just send a new one out but rather wait until I have returned this one...tut

I never even got to hear the sounds...argh

Update,

Rails were very good on this matter can't fault them at all... they sent me out a new one that arrived today that was fully tested with free next day postage, and a free returns label for the faulty one  😆

One thing I noticed though was that there were only two screws holding the case on in the faulty one! With two empty holes, I thought this was normal until I looked at the new one and there were four screws... now why would two screws be missing? makes me think it's been tampered with or very poor quality control at hornby!

Or possibly somebody else's return to Rails. Rails did a quick brief test that the loco passed, so they put it straight back onto the shelves to resale as a 'fault not found'.

Archived