Eurostar - conversion to DCC

Guest Chrissaf

I got one of these and need to convert it toDCC. Is it easy? Is there a one and only decoder for it? I have not done it before and I'd leave it as it is for me but to leave the grandsons  alone with it.........oh no! 😀. I am not sure of the protocal on this site and whether I should ask this question elsewhere. Do correct me or mods move the post if necessery..

Jim.

Post moved from the General Section and new topic title created.

@mijj

Assuming your Eurostar Class 373 is the Hornby R3215. Then the loco is a DCC Ready loco with an 8 pin NEM652 Decoder Socket. If the R3215 stock code number is correct for your model, then it has no lights fitted (according to the product description). This means that, there will only be a single DCC decoder required in the main motor car.

Any decoder brand with the 8 pin NEM652 plug will be suitable. The official Hornby 8 pin (basic) decoder is the R8249 - see image.

/media/tinymce_upload/f7a1bd66e3b12472509c7878a6235014.JPG

To fit it, you would remove the body on the main motor car. Remove the 'blanking plug' from the 8 pin decoder socket and plug in your decoder in its place. Keep the removed 'Blanking Plate' somewhere safe and secure, these can come in useful sometimes for other things.

Out of the packaging, the DCC decoder will have a factory configured address of 003

It is best to test your loco on this address first using your DCC controller to make sure it all works before making any changes.

If all is well, decide on the unique address you want to change the decoder to (something other than 003). Place your motor car onto your programming track piece connected to your controller programming output (except Hornby Select where your program track piece will be connected to your main track output with the main layout disconnected from it). Follow your controller manual instructions with regard to changing the decoder DCC address. Once the new address is configured, put your loco back onto the main track layout and test again using the new address.

If you have problems changing the Decoder DCC address, you will need to tell us what controller you are using and the steps you followed (in detail).

Thanks for the posting and loco info.  It seems as though I have a different set as the number on the box is R1176. I got it as a selfie Cristmas present but when trying it the loco failed after a couple of rounds. It came back from warranty and I was told it needed a new engine which had been fitted.There are no lights on it.

It will probably be a month or maybe two before I get some track laid so I am just getting everything ready. Does the above info from me fit with the information you gave? I have to rely on everyone else as I know nothing about railways or models.

Jim

@mijj

This train set is definitely DCC Ready and therefore instructions supplied by Chris above will apply to your model.

Here is the Hornby link to the product and if you scroll down to the Specifications for the set you will confirm it is DCC Ready...

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/eurostar-new-livery-train-set.html

A general search for that catalogue number will also bring up plenty more information on the set if you need it.

mijj,

If you bought it as part of the R1176 set. Then as a set, it has a R8250 DC Analogue controller included in the box. If as you say you know absolutely nothing about model railways and what is involved. Can I ask, what makes you think that you need to fit a DCC decoder to the loco? The loco will run on the track with the supplied R8250 DC controller without modification.

If you fit a DCC decoder, then you will need to replace the included R8250 DC controller with a DCC controller and replace / modify the supplied power track connector for one that is compatible with DCC.

PS - The R3215 part number is just for the Eurostar Class 373 Train Pack. Whereas the R1176 is for the complete Eurostar Class 373 Train Set. Basically the same loco.

Glad you did all the spadework there Chris... I hadn't realised the two sets were, in essence, virtually the same as far as the loco et al went.

I also assumed that mijj wanted to convert to DCC as a controller may already be in possession.

Anyway, all that info will surely help either way.

Thank you both for that info. I'd want to change it as I want to introduce my grandsons to railway modeling. I gather that DCC motors (I have two freight sets and a DCC controller) are ok on DC tracks but not the other way around. This will (note the intention) not represent any one station but be a freight/heritage with a separate Eurostar rapid pass through on another line. I know what young lads are like - experiential learners! They have to press every button and push every switch. They are 14, 10 and 7. I'll change it so no-matter the derailment the track wont matter  😆.

Jim.

I gather that DCC motors (I have two DCC freight sets) are ok on DC tracks but not the other way around.

Correct....

@mijj

You can DCC Ready locos on DC with no trouble.

However, while you can do the same with DCC Fitted some say you should not as the chip may burn out after prolonged running.

Personally speaking I just wouldn't do it. Keep the two forms separate is my advice although others may disagree and for good reason. I have not actually done that so can only advise from a viewpoint where my own opinion is just that.

Other members will advise more strongly I would think one way or the other. There is plenty information around re this question but some of it clashes with itself as different modellers have different views because they use different decoders to that of Hornby and some give more problems than others.

In reality my view may not help you much but maybe Chris, who has contributed to this thread already, may add more...

Chris...?

Archived