Hornby R3082 Hogwarts Express how to open to Fit DCC Chip

Andy7

I'm newbie to this:) after searching online I can't find instructions anywhere for the r3082 (dcc ready) and how to open it up, it seems be different to regular trains I'm not sure how to pop it open so can fit a DCC chip. Any info be great! Cheers 

Andy...............I think you will find a screw in the chassis hidden by the front bogie.........it may be possible to move the bogie to one side sufficiently to reach the screw, if not, remove the bogie first.........the boiler then lifts up while you pull chassis forwards to release the rear of the chassis from lugs under the cab.......that is if the decoder socket is in the loco.......if there a wires linking to the tender then there are screws in the tender chassis to release the body to reach the socket..........HB

Two cautionary notes to add to the above. Note the spring shown in 1a, this is under quite a bit of compression so can fly when the chassis removed. I think I must have spent more time crawling on the floor looking for these springs than fitting the chips!

Another is that when you lift out the chassis (with the loco upside down the cylinders will drop out unless they're supported. It's not impossible to slide the pistons back in and put it back but it is a pain that can and is best avoided.

Also the pipe behind the handrail on the boiler is VERY fragile

Also make a note of which slot below the cab the draw bar fits.

Trying to refit the body without the spring in 1a flying across the room is also a challenge. I find the best technique is to reassemble the loco upside down with just the spring in place but no drawbar.or rear screw without dropping the cylinders..

Next  gently tighten the front screw so that it just holds the body in place so that the cylinders do not fall out.

Then ising somethng ver thin and flat (like a scalple blade) lever the spring down (note loco still upside down)through the slot the draw bar fits tghen slide both parts of the draw bar in above the blade.

Finally ensure the hole in the draw bar lines up with the trapped nut in the body and hole in chassis and insert the rear screw without overtightening. You can then tighten the front screw if necessary.

Archived