Newbie DCC soldering question. R8249 chip.

RDS

The 8 pin decoder plug fits into an 8 pin NEM socket. You would connect your lighting return wire to the pin on the SOCKET that corresponds to the pin with the blue wire. If using LED based lighting, remember the positive side of the LED goes to the blue wire and a resistor (typically 1,000 ohms) needs to go in series with one side of the LED. It is easier to connect the purple wire to one side of the resistor, and the other side of the resistor to the lighting wire. Connecting the lighting to the socket rather than the plug makes it easier to replace the decoder if needs be. Obviously, not much you can do about the purple wire though, as that doesn't go through the plug and socket connector, but the resistor gives a reasonable soldered wire disconnection point.

Subject to the detail of the lighting unit (kit?) you have purchased. The current protection resistor function may already be built in to the lighting product. It is assumed that the Railcar is DCC ready and has a socket, else your post would have mentioned that you would be cutting off the plug and hard wiring everything.

Conventionally F0 turns On/Off the directional lighting - White and Yellow wires.

F1 turns On/Off the green wire.

F2 turns On/Off the Purple wire.

Check the decoder leaflet to be 100% sure.

All work with the Blue wire which is a common Positive to all functions.

The above doesn't always apply to sound decoders where different Function (F number) buttons can work the various functions.

I am fitting a lighting unit to one of my rail cars fitted with a Hornby R8249 8 pin DCC chip. The instruction say to solder the wires to a common and a function output from the decoder.  I see from the leaflet that the blue (6) is a common and the purple fling lead (9) is function 4. I assume that I soldar to the end of the purple but where on the blue? At the chip or the plug?

First time I have done this and I am not an expert with a soldering iron either.

Archived