Tri-ang B12 fitted with DCC CONCEPTS 6 pin chip

Forum-1211528

Colin

The decoder spec says 750mA to 1A so should be able to handle an X04 motor OK.

Let us know if it handles the load in normal layout service.

Rob

Hi Rob its the Early BR green B12 with BRITISH RAILWAYS on the tender it runs fine with a train of 20 Gresley coaches and would pull more! i have the BR black B12 61572 but theres a SYCROSMOKE smoke unit inside that loco so this loco will stay ANALOGUE as i dont want a DCC chip in that when this B12 has a smoke unit!

Thanks for the feedback Colin.

Sounds like that decoder is a good 'un for the older locos.

Rob

HI Rob the DCC CONCEPTS six pin decoder is suitable for any X04 fitted loco from the Seventies but any split framed locos from the 1950s will prove a big mistake as these will simply FRY any chip you put in it as the whole underframe is live so DCC on these simply can never ever be as a sixty year old loco shouldnt have DCC at all!!

Colin

I have previously fitted DCC to a split frame Loco.  It wasn't easy and required a lot of careful insulating but it worked. I can't remember which Loco it was, other than I think it was a Bachmann and I don't have it any longer.

I have previously fitted DCC to a split frame Loco.  It wasn't easy and required a lot of careful insulating but it worked. I can't remember which Loco it was, other than I think it was a Bachmann and I don't have it any longer.

A Bachmann loco should be fine converting to DCC  its the Tri-ang fifties split frame locos that simply cant be isolated to allow the chip to work like the BR black saddle tank 748 its not worth the hassle im not interested in a DCC chip in that loco as its a great runner an analogue as this DCC lark is a Yank idea and im not a big fan of it on old locos so i dont bother with it on them!

Colin

Do not be put off fitting DCC to split frame locos.  I have done quite a few Bachmann and mainline locos including a Mainline 03.  There is plenty of information on the web including this usefull site Bromsgrove Models.  https://clarahost.clara.net/www.bromsgrovemodels.co.uk/mainline03dccinstr.htm 

Archived