Why Hornby Loco's don't all come DCC Ready

Lardenr

More Directed at Hornby this one is, but could they explain why not all their new loco's are not coming as at least DCC ready? JUst seen the new "Terrier" that is being release at 84.99, and was surprised to find that it's not DCC ready. The last thing anyone wan't to do is to crack this open and do all their own solder joints, and I'm sure it will void the warranty! Is their any reason? I recently bought a bachman, small 0-6-0 loco and that had a 6 pin socket on it. Perhaps Hornby should release 6 pin DCC chips.

Thanks

I don't think many modellers are likely to fit lights to small locos so the Hornby x9659 4-pin decoder is perfectly adequate for the job.......in fact it is the same size as the R8249 8-pin decoder with less wires attached so no point in making a 6-pin..........HB

It was actaully more the fact that some of the new loco's have not got the DCC ready status, and the DCC socket it not installed, given that the technology is moving forward, that I was querying. I'm sure a lot of people are not confident in installing decoders themselves. I wondered if it was because some of the engines are small, but however I gave the example of my bachman one to show how another manufacter has done it. I myself have only just gained the confidence to install these myself. And also if one does attempt to do it themselves, does this void the warranty? 

The Terrier is a relatively old model and therefore you make it DCC ready a certain amount of re-tooling would be needed. Hornby have demonstrated that they can and will make small locos DCC ready e.g. the Sentinel shutter which takes the 4 pin decoder mentioned earlier.

I presume that in time it may get an upgrade but in the meantime the conversion is possible by hardwiring one of the very small decoders now available. It can be done by just unsoldering the motor wires and with no body mods needed it would be simple and invisible to go back to D.C. if a warranty claim is needed.

You make a good point, Lardener............it is understandable that a few small 0-4-0 locos at a low price point will be non-ready but the Sentinel is DCC ready @ £65 but the Terrier has no room for a DCC socket and a decoder........you can only just wire in the 4-pin X9659.........HB

Thanks for all the replies. SteveM6, I take your point about the Terrier being an older model, the one that I saw hasn't been released yet, but I guess they use still the old tooling, but at 84.00 I would have expected a DCC socket, or for them to find some work around. And as you mention it's easier enough to solder connections, so perhaps they should release it as DCC fitted. 

As has already been said the Terrier is an old model, and is re-released periodically in a different livery. Many decoders can be hard wired, so whether it is 4,6 or 8-pin doesn't really matter as you will not be using the plug/socket. If you remove the body, which takes a couple of minutes, even Hornby's R8249 decoder can be stuck with double sided tape or a blob of bath sealant to the side of the motor, and the body replaced.

Space should not be an issue in any new models as Hornby have proved with the number of digital sound equiped N gauge models they already offer. 

I would expect than if the Terrier needs re-tooled it will be re-issued DCC ready but until then you will have to improvise as suggested above. And that all new small engines, like the Peckett, will be socket equiped.

Yes I am referring to the Arnold models.

If you look through the online shop you will find plenty of Hornby N scale models with sockets and sound. They just happen to be of non British prototypes and though branded as Arnold, they are models designed by and produced for Hornby PLC.

My apologies to the original poster as once again this has gone off topic. With regards to your original questions, SteveM6’s answer sums it up perfectly. New models will probably be DCC ready, older ones will only be retooled if there is an economic case for it.

With regards to the previous post, I would suggest you look at the investor relations link at the bottom of the Hornby homepage and look through the latest set of annual reports. This will tell you all about all the activities undertaken by the company. Additionally, the online shop will show you plenty of pictures of model railway equipment sold by Hornby in OO, H0 and N scales. All the International brand catalogues have a ‘Hornby Hobbies’ logo in their bottom right hand side corners, which advertises their group affiliation.  You could also look at the drop down menu on the top left of the homepage, which will take you to other Hornby brands such as Humbrol and Airfix.

It is not uncommon for brands to be to be differentiated under common ownership and as such Airfix, Arnold, Electrotren etc retain their identities and don’t come in Hornby boxes and are not called Hornby! The Electrotren models I have bought recently contain the ‘Hornby Hobbies’ red box with yellow writing logo on the back and I would expect a similar parent company identity on products from all their other brands.

In terms of who actually produces ‘the stuff’ as all the models are produced by a Chinese contract manufacturer this is irrelevant. Hornby either design the models themselves or ask their manufacturer to do it. Either way, Hornby are responsible for selecting the prototype and issuing the specifications be it in OO, H0 or N. They then pay for it and (try) and sell it.

I hope this has cleared things up for you.

Just to muddy the puddle even further if you switch to the Corgi site and search for R8249 up pops a decoder, which doesnt seem to have any sensible application on the Corgi site, although it does talk about Hornby locomotives.

Rob

I have to say i have alot of TRI-ANG locos from the fifties and sixties that have X04 motors i wouldnt want DCC chips in these as i love running these classics and this DCC lark is a yank idea as they want you to DCC everything well early Tri-ang locos cant be done and i wont fit chips to them and if i buy a Hornby loco that has a DCC chip inside i remove it as i say stuff DCC!

Thank you ellocoloco but I did know all that. All I was saying is that Arnold make N gauge not Hornby. I know Hornby own Arnold but the N gauge products are not called Hornby any more than when you buy a Rolls Royce it is called a BMW. 

By the way I don't own a Rolls Royce or a BMW. 

@colin_flowerday..........interesting point of view you have about DCC..........personally I am delighted with DCC and wouldn't now run DC..........I have even converted my Hornby Dublo stuff to DCC, all run much better........but I'm sure that DC will be still be running for many years to come.......... 😀.............HB

In terms of who actually produces ‘the stuff’ as all the models are produced by a Chinese contract manufacturer this is irrelevant. 

Se Airfix products are actually made in the UK, but the point still applies that Airfix designs the models, but are part of Hornby Hobbies.

Hornby are not likely to waste money on re-tooling a perfectly good model.......what benefit would there be.......they are already limited in the number of new models they can bring to market.........several proposed new models for this year were cancelled or postponed...........The Terrier runs great on DC and is easily converted to DCC with a 4-pin decoder placed in the boiler barrel...........I was very fortunate to get mine for £15 when it was a Club model......HB

Archived