DCC Lcos on a DC track ?

DEREK123

I am certain this is a silly question but I feel I should ask as I don't want to create a disaster !!

What are the problems ( if any ) in running a DCC ready but chipped loco on a 12V DC layout ? - using a standard gaugemaster Model DS controller. Is this sensible ?

I ask as I am wanting to get prepared for a layout conversion , running a newly purchased s/h Hornby King George 1 loco (R2544)  ... what chip would you recommend I buy ?

Thanks

Derek

Derek..........if you are running a DC layout why have a decoder in the loco........just fit a blanking plate and run it as native DC............When you get a DCC controller then is the time to fit a decoder.........the Hornby R8249 decoder is perfectly adequate for the job...........HB

Derek..........if you are running a DC layout why have a decoder in the loco........just fit a blanking plate and run it as native DC............When you get a DCC controller then is the time to fit a decoder.........the Hornby R8249 decoder is perfectly adequate for the job...........HB

Thanks for your speedy reply HB ... as I build the new DCC layout I felt it would be nice to test it " in progress " but still be able to use the loco on the DC layout without removing the chip .... is that good practice or will I damage the chip ?

Derek

If you have a DCC controller you can disable DC running. New locos with fitted decoders will be OK but some DCC users disable DC running because they don't need it. So if you buy a second hand DCC loco it might have been disabled. If it has been disabled you need to get it enabled by somebody withh a DCC controller. 

Archived