Tri-ang 3MT tank loco fitted with Gaugemaster DCC chip.

Forum-1211528

Hi. This loco is a particular favourite of mine. My first one was bought for me as a present for passing the 11plus if I remember correctly back on 1958. It is much modified with Romford wheels and is now chipped with a Laisdcc chip and a bank of stay alive capacitors in the cab. Seems to run fine without the stalling it did with a Lenz 1014 I had in it before. I have to say I have not had great success with Gaugemaster Chips with Triang locos. They always seem strained and not free running. I am in process of building up 3 more 3MT tanks from parts with detail improvements such as handrails. sprung buffers etc. With the prohibitive cost of Romford wheels now I have successfully reduced the original TRIANG HORNBY wheel flanges to enable good running through Peco points and crossings on my layout. I have replaced pony wheels with Hornby metal spoked wagon wheels. They are not true to scale regarding number of spokes etc. but once painted black this won't notice.

I have been carrying out similar conversions on Triang  Princess and Britannia locos. I can't justify spending pots of money so again sticking to Laisdcc or Hattons chips.

Cliff

Archived