Adjusting decoder sound volume.

Guest Chrissaf

@Country Joe........we will need to know exactly which sound decoders you have........possibly TTS or Loksound.......if you have TTS decoders then CV 178 can have a value of 0 to 8 so you can try writing 8 to CV178 to try, if too loud reduce till satisfactory.........HB

As a rule of thumb, based upon all the sound decoders that have crossed my path. They have all been set at maximum volume (or very near maximum) as their default. It is very unusual for somebody to want to make them even louder. Most forum members ask questions about how to make them quieter.

As HB has stated, different sound decoders use different CVs for adjusting volume. If the Hornby R code number ends in XS then the loco will have a Loksound decoder using CV63 as the master volume. The maximum volume value of CV63 does however vary subject to the exact Loksound decoder model being used in the loco. If TTS, your TTS loco instruction sheet should tell you which CV to adjust (it will probably be CV178 as HB has suggested). Then just follow the Elite manual for how to alter and amend CVs. The loco will need to be on the Elite programming track to do this.

Hi,

I have a couple of Hornby steam locos with sound, I would like to make them a little bit louder, I have the Hornby Elite controller have looked at the operator's manual, but can't see a mention, but have been told it can be done, any help would be appreachiated.

Joe 

Those are both TTS steam locos so as stated changing the value of CV178 will affect the volume of all sounds. Zero is off and 8 is max, with the factory default value being 4, which most people find too loud.

Rob

With there being many posts complaining that their TTS speakers have failed (presumably on the default 4 setting), then one must question how long the Hornby TTS speakers will last if fed with even more power from the decoder amplifier.

Are you sure that the volume doesn't appear low because the TTS speaker has failed?

Speaker failure does seem to be a common problem with these TTS decoders (albeit a failed TTS speaker is usually reported as going completely dead and not just quiet).

I have taken to buying sugar cube speakers now to go with the TTS units, they are much easier to install and sound better........well worth the slight extra expense in my view..........HB

Hi HB - I had read "somewhere" that replacing the original TTS speaker, made a significant improvement on the sound. This is not a dig at Hornby - their sound package is very reasonably priced compared to what is generally available. I'm awaiting the Hornby A3 sound decoder, which should be here soon, and I will probably replace the speaker with a sugar-cube, or something better than the standard fitting. I will also turn the volume down a little!

Archived