Faulty Point Decoders

RB51

Can anybody explain why all seven of my point decoders will only work on ports 3 & 4. Ports 1&2 do not work, but trying to operate 1&2 stops 3&4 from working. 3&4 will then only operate if I reprogram. If you have an answer to this problem do you know of a way of a way of getting the decoders fully operational again. 

What controller are you using: Select, Elite, Elite with RailMaster or eLink with RailMaster?

What addresses are you using for the seven decoders....001 to 028 or 061 to 088 or something else entirely?

Have you had any transient short circuits causing controller power tripping (perhaps locos traversing points) just prior to the accessory decoder fault developing?

Answering these questions will narrow down the solution choices to consider.

Since you are a Select user, your options are severely limited.

Normally, in these situations the first thing to try would be to factory reset the point decoders (write 8 to CV8). Unfortunately the Select does not support this feature.

Again because you are using the Select and not an Elite. Your issue won't be related to the Elite operating mode (Classic vs Standard).

The most likely cause of your issue, is that the Accessory Decoders (you haven't stated decoder model as requested, but am assuming Hornby R8247s) have become software corrupted due to a transient short circuit. This is a most common issue with these decoders. The only way to recover from a decoder software corruption is to perform a factory reset, but you can't because of the feature limitations of the Select. You will need to find access to a more capable controller, for example a friend, a model railway shop with test bench capabilities or a local club. Even if you do find an alternative controller resource, there is no guarantee that a factory reset will resolve your issue.

Of course, it might be your Select controller that has got a software glitch. Your Select can be reset to factory configuration by following the process documented in your Select user guide manual. I would try this first before taking your decoders to an external alternative controller resource. If resetting your Select does not effect a cure, then you are probably up the proverbial creek without a paddle.

EDIT: As Rog(RJ) has said above. Resetting the Select to factory condition can cure all sorts of strange behaviours. Note: Resetting the Select will not affect any of your loco decoder configurations (DCC addresses and the like). But for peace of mind, I would perform the Select factory reset process with the Select disconnected from your track and decoders.

Archived