OO Gauge Irish Rail 2600 Class DMU

Night

I was thinking that maybe Hornby could add Irish train(s) but I was thinking of a certain Irish train, the 2600 class DMU, in the silver/InterCity livery. I was thinking that it could be in one of those mini packs, you know the ones that have Trains in them but no rails, so if you have OO Gauge rails, you can put it on those rails and power it. The 2600 DMU is a 2-car set, I will give a picture as an example of the specific Train I'm talking about. Anyway that is my idea, hope you think it's a good idea!

Irish trains present the model railway world with a problem. How do you get them in proportion.  It is OK if you are happy for the track gauge to be severely incorrect. Modelling British Railways is bad enough, OO gauge is 16.5 mm which is the equivalent 4 feet 1.5 inches  wide instead of 4 feet 8.5 inches which is seven scale inches too narrow. Irish Rail used 5 feet 3 inches between the rails which in 4mm scale ought to be 21mm, a whole 13.5 inches in scale which is 22% too narrow. (nearly a quarter) .

I must say I find the Irish railways fascinating and it is a pity they are not modelled more frequently. I have considered modelling the Irish narrow gauge which is easier because TT gauge rolling stock will lend itself for modification running on 12mm gauge track.

In the response to another thread I have pointed out that O gauge track  can be used for anyone modelling Irish railways in 1 : 50th scale which gives a good scale/gauge ratio. The bad news. Not everyone can model in O gauge due to cost and space considerations, and almost everything would have to be scratch built.

People like Murphy's Models used to sell Irish outline rolling stock to run on 16.5mm but their website is a little out of date http://www.murphymodels.com/Aboutus.html

• 7 months later...

Archived