Capacitor Discharge units

The Owl

Yes definitely do it. A CDU provides reliable point switching and protection against burning out solenoid point motor coils. It also means that you don't have to use an expensive high current capability power supply for your points, as the capacitors in the CDU store up a slow trickle charge to output a high current kick to the point motor.

I notice that your question infers CDUs as in plural (more than one). Just note, that you only need a SINGLE CDU for the whole layout. They are not fitted on a one per point basis, they are a 'shared resource'.

More information available here:

http://www.brian-lambert.co.uk/Electrical.html#Motor

Note: Try and avoid using Hornby's R044 switch with a CDU. The reason why is explained in the pages linked above.

Note that as this question is in DCC area you do not need a CDU if using accessory decoders to fire your points as they have a built,in CDU, but there are ways of combining both DCC and manual operation of points.

Rob

An ideal choice as an alternative to the Hornby R044. Just make sure that they are the 'sprung loaded' return to 'centre off' type.

Bought mine a piece parts kit, two units cost me £11, took 10 min to assemble. Sorry can't remember where I got it from but see here on EBay for some. http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/capacitor-discharge-unit.

I used only one of them for my old layout but have thoughts of using second for separate area on new layout. the recycle time is fine but rapid use can occassionally cause a misfire.

I use a Gaugemaster CDU and it will fire paired small black Hornby point motors (higher current draw than their regular solenoids) all day long time after time, in fact I am sure I read somewhere that they can fire up to six points.

Power supply is the Aux output from an old HM2000 analogue controller.

My points switching is rotary switch for point selection and push to make switches for direction but any momentary switch will be OK.

I use a double MOM/OFF/MOM switch to fire the points and switch the frog. One set of contacts triggers the CDU, the other changes over a latching relay. The latching relay provides the power to the frog through one set of contacts and switches the layout signal through the other and also change over Red/Grn leds on the control panel to indicate what the signals/points are set to.

Archived