elink has Failed

RDS

@wensley

You should really have started a new topic rather than hang it on this old thread, but I would advise you to Contact Hornby Customer Services using the phone number at screen bottom rather than email and tell them your tale about Asda  and they will probably arrange for you to send your eLink back to them for repair or replacement.

Yes an Elite will work with RM.

Rob

My eLink, just a few months old from a set sold by Asda (they don't do repairs) has died - no green light. I had so many issues with linking the PC to it that I'm kind of glad. Am I silly to order an Elite - may use Railmaster with that - or should I have changed to another make?

@Wensley

As Rob says, elink will work with Elite and in fact it is my prefered choice because it also gives you the option to control your Loco's manually using the control knobs, as well as via the computer using RailMaster, or even a combination of both.

You say that the set is only a few months old, having been bought from Asda.  I would be going back to Asda in the first instance because it is their responsibility to sort it out for you until the warranty expires.  If they are unable to supply an alternative you may be able to come some agreement regarding a credit for the faulty part, that you could then put towards an Elite.  Your RailMaster will only work with either elink or the Elite.

Hi ,,,I would suggest you get another make ,,,,,the elite has a tendency to develop a fault ,,,it will stop programming,,,,,,mjb

This problem has been reported occasionally and the most likely cause is cross connection of wires from the various output terminals on the Elite. e.g. how many people have connected the Elite boost terminals direct to their track in the hope it will run more locos, rather than setting up power districts per the instructions in the manual - that error will definitely kill programming output, so don't do it.

If you want to go manufacturer bashing on this forum mjb you need to have proof of a legitimate complaint, else it's against the rules

Rob

Hi ,,,I would suggest you get another make ,,,,,the elite has a tendency to develop a fault ,,,it will stop programming,,,,,,mjb

This problem has been reported occasionally and the most likely cause is cross connection of wires from the various output terminals on the Elite. e.g. how many people have connected the Elite boost terminals direct to their track in the hope it will run more locos, rather than setting up power districts per the instructions in the manual - that error will definitely kill programming output, so don't do it.

If you want to go manufacturer bashing on this forum mjb you need to have proof of a legitimate complaint, else it's against the rules

Rob

Against the rules!!,,,I was only telling the op what is a common fault ,,you said so yourself Raf96 ,,take a look at your number ,,6863 post ,,

mjb

I have been back through ten pages of my posts and can't see any ref to it. The post number increments each time you post across all listings so no use quoting that.

Elite Prog failure is a known problem but may not be a fault as in defect due to design or manufacturing error. More likely to be due to operator error as I said. This I can prove having wrecked two Elites during testing with an oscilloscope.

Rob

mjb

I found that post - way back in 2014 and in Oct that year the OP reported that it was finger trouble in the end.

A lot of water under the bridge since then and a lot of Elites still working fine years later. My earliest Elite was made in 2007 and the later batch ones were as I said previously broken by me when trying to 'scope Track, Prog, Boost and Xpressnet outputs simultaneously for comparison.

I would quess without having any actual MTBF stats to refer to that the number of actual Elite faults versus units sold is well within the expected bathtub graph.

Rob

We are of course talking about electronic bathtubs here HB, not the big brass one sticking out the end of your early housing designs! 

And if if this discussion is going straight over your head without stopping, google bathtub curve and you'll get a clue. 

• 2 weeks later...

Oh dear, it seems that I have joined the failed eLink set. Switched on my 2 month old device yesterday and ... nothing. Railmaster reported no comms with DCC Controller, a look at eLink showed no green indicator LED. Power brick to the device output a healthy 15.37V dc, output from the device 0 (25V+ ac under normal operation). A call to Customer Services (a very helpful guy named Mark) revealed that this does happen "very occasionally". Courier will collect the faulty item today and repair/replacement item should be back to me fairly quickly. On current performance, I cannot fault Customer Services. Will report progress as it happens.

• 3 weeks later...

Way back last month, I said that I would report on progress. I should have added the caveat "or lack of". Since the 17th of last month and numerous fruitless phone calls to Customer Services, I am still without a serviceable DCC controller and no forecast date of when the repaired item will be returned. For a Warranty item that was only two months old, this is very poor performance on the part of Hornby. I would have expected a replacement item by now rather than the extended wait for repair. As readers can probably appreciate, eLink is a critical item in a Railmaster based layout. Without it, the complete system is rendered totally useless.

Archived