Unable to program R8216

Guest Chrissaf

Check your Elite LCD display when it starts up. Does it briefly say "Standard" or "Classic". If it says "Classic" point addressing is offset by 3. This gives the impression that the Hornby Accessory Decoder is not functioning with RailMaster even though it does with Elite. When used with RailMaster, the Elite must start up in "Standard" mode for points to have synchronised addressing. Changing the Elite operating mode is in the Elite manual.

Peter, welcome to the forums.  Just to add to my reply in the other topic, if you were to use only one controller, operation of your points would take very little power from locos on the track.

PS.  For future reference, you only need to give information or ask questions once rather than repeating in two topics.  Also, while it's a great idea to do a forum search as you have done to find information relevant to your situation, it is usually better to start a new topic to ask a question specific to a particular problem you may have.  That way, you can give it a title that explains the problem more precisely and there won't be any confusion between your problem and the one originally discussed in the old topic.

I bought a R8216 on ebay and was unable to program it via the elite on rail master. I also tried programming in on the elite itself with no joy. I was beginning to think i had bought a faulty device.

I recently bought the eilte for my son to operate the railway easily and becuase i had origonal bought railmaster with a elink I thought I would have a go using the elink as a second controller. So I did this and tried programming the R8216 on the elink programming output and then tested it on the elink track output and it worked.

I then tried connecting again via the elite and it failed to work with railmaster but did work controlling it via the elite itself.

I have now decided to create a second bus using the elink, I am going to use the elink for controlling points and signals as controller 'B' and use the elite as controller 'A' for controlling the trains. This seems to be the best option to allow all the trains to solely use the 4A supply for the elite and the 1A supply to control points and lights (might buy 4A supply for the elink in the future if its short of power).

Peter,

Answers from your two duplicate posts have been combined into this new retitled topic thread. I have basically made the changes to your posts to aid your request for assistance for the reasons explained by Fishmanoz in the post above.

Peter, I'm unsure from your post whether this is a non problem because you've solved it or whether it's ongoing.

If its ongoing, Chris 's info above is relevant for a start.  Secondly, have you charged port 1 as required before programming your 8216, see in the manual and in the previous topics you have researched. Finally, is it really an 8216 or a mislabelled 8247, check date stamp as per info in the previous topics.  It is now many years since the 8247 replaced the old 8216s.

Peter, having read your original post again carefully.

The symptoms you have described i.e

1. R8216 works with Elite on its own.
  2. R8216 works with RailMaster & eLink.
  3. R8216 does not work with RailMaster & Elite.

Leads me to believe that I am even more convinced that my diagnosis is correct. Your Elite is currently in 'Classic' operating mode and not in 'Standard' mode.

This issue is well documented in the RailMaster 1.66 User Guide Manual on Page 141 (list item 2) and again on Page 144 (second paragraph down).

Archived