Finally the rip off sound decoder barrier is broken.

The son of Triangman

Amongst other silly things, I fly radio-controlled model aircraft. They can have very short lives - timed in seconds - if something goes wrong. That can write-off a couple of hundred £££s, not counting the time involved in building the thing. So even the 'bee in a jam-jar' DCC Sound loco lasts longer than that - (usually!).

Motor life is another - and previous - argument.

What I'm trying to say, Rule 1, is - It's my money, and I'll spend it how I like. When I get my wooden overcoat, I can't take the money with me.

DCC sound in the toy scale (OO) can never be totally realistic, we are stereo sound animals with two ears etc., DCC sound decoders in locos usually have one speaker for mono sound or sythasised stereo sound.  I feel Hornby has at last grasped there is a market for an inexpensive sound decoder and great credit to them. It doesn't matter how much you pay for a high end decoder the sound will never be like the real thing.  TTS offers an affordable route into the DCC sound world without making your bank manager weep.

Maybe we are all fools to spend money on model railways but I love doing it.

Well I think that's a fair enough comment  😛

Amused that the forum equivalent of the Big Uncoupling Hand From The Sky censored my post. Guessing Big H doesn't want anyone putting any ideas into the minds of folk that 00 scale sound may n*t ac**ally b* v**y g**d 😮  🫨

DCC sound in the toy scale (OO) can never be totally realistic, we are stereo sound animals with two ears etc., 

Binaural, to be pedantic. Stereo hearing would be two sound receivers, placed a suitable distance apart on a straight line and both facing in the same direction. Good for detecting the placement of a sound from left to right, but useless for working out where it's coming from behind or in front of the listening position.

Binaural is two sound receivers placed either side of an object, facing 180 degrees away from each other - hence we hear in a full 360 degree soundscape.

Sorry... sound is my profession  😉

So I see not all of them are out there yet and also bizarrely some of the TTS units are not available seperately. The southern S15 decoder isn't and in fact there is no Southern steam at all yet, and while fast trains do sound similar, as RAF66 says, the whistles surely vary from region to region (please don't mention the doppler effect).  Ido agree about poor speakers and again I'll defer to RAF 66 who gets creative with humbrol paint pots to amplify the sound in the same way a well designed speaker cabinet does for hi fi afficianados. ANyway we live in interesting times and I think Hornby will get the idea once we all start ordering them - for me I want the castle to go into Hogwarts castle (yes I know it's a Hall really).

have another look at hogwarts castle   😉

To clarify....(I hope? 😉)

The loco in the films is/ was 'Olton Hall'....painted red, and re-named 'Hogwarts Castle'....

This is a Hall Class loco.

(The "other" Hogwarts loco was the Re-built West Country Loco 'Taw Valley'....also painted red, but named 'Hogwarts Express' I think!)

The model made by Hornby was based on the Ex Airfix, Mainline, Dapol, Hornby 'Castle Class' loco....mainly because the only 'Hall Class' tooling Hornby had at the time was that released in the 1960a as 'Albert Hall' I believe.

The fact that the Film loco had a 'Castle' name just confuses things!

So...the real 'Hogwarts Castle' is a 'Hall' Class loco.

The Hornby 'Hogwarts Castle' is a 'Castle' Class loco...with a Hall Class number!

I don't know about the BM Blue Box models though! 😉

Archived