Problem with DCC fitted loco

KayTee

New to Hornby and model railroading. I've got an analog set up and recently ordered a Mallard. It was sold as DCC read but when delivered I found it was DCC fitted. I read that in any event there was no issue in running a DCC fitted loco on an analog track. So my kid and I were running the set up all morning, and the Mallard ran fine, if a bit slowly. but now I find that while the motor is running, the engine won't move. A push takes it a bit down the track before it comes to a stop again. Any advise would be welcome. 

If it new, return to the supplier for replacement, repair or refund. Don't attempt to repair it yourself as can invalidate the guarantee/ warranty.

Thanks. I've contacted the seller and awaiting his advise. I live outside the U.K. howev so returning for repair is a bit inconvenien. I was wondering whether the issue could be resolved Without too much hassle, or whether it had something to do with running a dcc loco on an analog track. 

If the electric motor is spinning, but the wheels are not turning, then logically it is a mechanical drive train issue. Thus, being DCC decoder fitted on an analogue DC track is a red herring.

I KayTee - you've had all the correct replies, but just out of interest did it say on the box DCC Fitted? I know Hornby did produce a Mallard DCC Fitted in the Railroad Range sometime ago. If the motor is running, but the loco is not moving, it sounds asthough the cog on the motor is not engaging with the cog that drives the wheels - I had this on a new Hornby loco fairly recently. It would mean taking the loco apart. If you do go down this road, I would download the service/parts sheet which gives and "exploded" view of where everything is. What is the "R" number of your loco - it should be on the end of the box.

I KayTee - you've had all the correct replies, but just out of interest did it say on the box DCC Fitted? I know Hornby did produce a Mallard DCC Fitted in the Railroad Range sometime ago. If the motor is running, but the loco is not moving, it sounds asthough the cog on the motor is not engaging with the cog that drives the wheels - I had this on a new Hornby loco fairly recently. It would mean taking the loco apart. If you do go down this road, I would download the service/parts sheet which gives and "exploded" view of where everything is. What is the "R" number of your loco - it should be on the end of the box.

Hi, yes, there's a sticker on the box saying DCC fitted. The number is R3395TTS. The seller suggested that I oil the loco and give it a try. Will do that over the weekend and hope for the best. Thanks for the reply. 

Is that R3395TTS with the sound decoder, or with it removed?

Some retailers sell this as R3395 with the TTS chip removed and a blanking plug fitted to make it DCC ready. If the motor is turning, but the wheels are not, it shows a mechanical fault which oiling will not cure.

The latest service sheet I can find is 

http://www.lendonsmodelshop.co.uk/pdf/Hornby%20Service%20Sheets/No.394%20A4%20Class%20Locomotive.pdf

You can buy X8849 gear set which may fit yours.

Hi Kay Tee,,,,,.ok ,,,you say it is a r3395tts mallard which means it is a loco with sound unless the seller stated that the sound decoder was removed and replaced with a blanking plug ,either way it will run on Analouge,,,,,so to get the loco running again you will need to remove the loco body ,I had this on a highly detailed A4 which cost a lot of money as well ,,,to remove the body is just one screw under the front pony truck ,once out the body needs to be lifted at the front and pushed back ,once you've got the body off put the loco back on the track and try to run it ,if it is still the same ,you can hear the motor spinning but the loco doesn't move then as already stated,,the gears have disengaged ,,,on mine I found that if I pushed down on the motor it would engage ,,try this and see if it works ,,,turn off the controler while you try ,,if it feels like it has pushed down ,test to see if it runs ,if it does see if it just needs the bracket holding the motor tightening ,or you may have to do as I did ,,,hold it down with some electrical tape ,,,.hope it works for you ,,,,to check if the loco still has its sound installed or a blanking plug you will have to remove the tender body ,,,,you should find all the info you need to remove the bodies in the maintenance sheet ,,,,,hope it all works for you ,,,ll please let us know ,,,,mjb

Is that R3395TTS with the sound decoder, or with it removed?

Some retailers sell this as R3395 with the TTS chip removed and a blanking plug fitted to make it DCC ready. If the motor is turning, but the wheels are not, it shows a mechanical fault which oiling will not cure.

The latest service sheet I can find is 

http://www.lendonsmodelshop.co.uk/pdf/Hornby%20Service%20Sheets/No.394%20A4%20Class%20Locomotive.pdf

You can buy X8849 gear set which may fit yours.

Going by the sticker on the box, I think lot comes with the sound decoder. Took a pic of the box and sticker but can't seem to upload from my phone. Thanks for the service sheet and your comments. Much appreciated 

Hi Kay Tee,,,,,.ok ,,,you say it is a r3395tts mallard which means it is a loco with sound unless the seller stated that the sound decoder was removed and replaced with a blanking plug ,either way it will run on Analouge,,,,,so to get the loco running again you will need to remove the loco body ,I had this on a highly detailed A4 which cost a lot of money as well ,,,to remove the body is just one screw under the front pony truck ,once out the body needs to be lifted at the front and pushed back ,once you've got the body off put the loco back on the track and try to run it ,if it is still the same ,you can hear the motor spinning but the loco doesn't move then as already stated,,the gears have disengaged ,,,on mine I found that if I pushed down on the motor it would engage ,,try this and see if it works ,,,turn off the controler while you try ,,if it feels like it has pushed down ,test to see if it runs ,if it does see if it just needs the bracket holding the motor tightening ,or you may have to do as I did ,,,hold it down with some electrical tape ,,,.hope it works for you ,,,,to check if the loco still has its sound installed or a blanking plug you will have to remove the tender body ,,,,you should find all the info you need to remove the bodies in the maintenance sheet ,,,,,hope it all works for you ,,,ll please let us know ,,,,mjb

Hi, thanks for this. Yes, I did remove the body, place  on the track and tried running it. I hear the motor spinning but it will not move. Didn't try pushing the motor down, but will give it a shot and see. hopefully will work. Otherwise my kid, whose latest obsession is the mallard, is going to be very disappointed. Thanks for the suggestion 

Archived