DCC Decoder blows

Julesdad

Most DCC decoders come with non-dc running set in the CV, so that was probably why the loco did not move on DC.

The smoke would probably suggest a faulty decoder or possibly a wire inside the loco too close to the decoder and heating up.

Finally, not sure why you are adding the decoder and then running on DC.

As it is out of warranty have a good look under the socket for any stray solder or wire strands, also,that with the decoder plugged in the pins don't short on anything metal under the socket.

Another reason may be the loco is wrongly wired, so check the standard connection paths using a meter, pickups to socket, motor to socket, any lighting, etc, using the standard wiring pattern show in the DCC support section of the main Hornby site.

Just because the thing runs with the blacking plug in doesn't mean the DCC wiring is OK.

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jule's dad, welcome to the forums.  Put simply, check your warranty and then send it back under it.

Unfortunately it is now out of warranty, but thank you for the suggestion

I would still send the decoder back to Hornby with a covering letter especially as it was new and had not been used before.  They are usually very good at sending out replacements.  It must be worth a try at the cost of a 2nd class stamp.

Having read all the posts I see you traced the fault to a bare wire - so I wonder where the smoke came from?

Having read all the posts I see you traced the fault to a bare wire - so I wonder where the smoke came from?

He already said it was the decoder, likely due to a short circuit from the bare wire.

Hence why it is always recommended to first check a decoder installation on the limited energy programming track.

Rob

Archived