Best DCC Controller

debe45

I know your answers will depend greatly on personel tastes.  I have been using a Select controller for about 2 years and for my needs it has been perfectly adequate.  I am now thinking of adding sound and although one of my Selects is updated to Firmware 1.5 which handles CV 1 to 28, I'm told, I think it may be time to move to a more sophisticated controller   I could just move to an Elite but am interested in your views on the BEST controller.

I look forward to your replies.  Many thanks.. DB

Well DB.......who qualifies as a DCC expert?..........where will you find a modeller who has used 7 or 8 different DCC controllers who has done a fully documented test?.........all the populer controllers are very good, each having pros & cons but as this is a Hornby Forum we hesitate to recommend another make.......the Elite is a very competant piece of equipment and has many satisfied users...........HB

I think you are confusing CVs and functions.  The Select can use functions 1 to 28? if it has V1.5 firmware but the CVs it can use are much more limited.  Functions and CVs are 2 completely different things.

As this is the Hornby forum we are not supposed to promote other makes so replies may be a bit one sided.

I upgraded from the Select to the Elite soon after the Elite first became available and I've still got it.  I recently bought an NCE Powercab because I wanted a handheld controller.  It's very good but I do miss the two control knobs of the Elite and the separate programming track outlet.

I upgraded from Select to Elite and now have the Select as a Walkabout controller.

The Elite also works with RailMaster (still currently available at Hattons at the very reduced price of £5), which gives you computer control if you wanted to go that route in the future, whilst still maintaining the ability to control Loco's manually as well.

Archived