TTS decoder problem.

morairamike

OK as some of you will have seen I modified and fitted my recently delivered A4 TTS decoder to my Mallard testerday. This afternnon O extended the track I have to run her a bit further. After 1 hour the sound of the "Loco running - exhaust chuffing started to be overlaid with a crackling sound, (bit like a wood log burning). I tried a CV8 reset data 8 but that made no difference I tried a CV8 reset sound levels data 5, again no difference. I then turned all the individual sound CVs to 0 to see if the crackle went away. It does but only when CV161 is at 0. I sent Hornby contact us a message about this and await the reply. Anyone else on here sufferred from distortion/strange sound on TTS

As I am an engineer I decided to look into the problem further. Yes you were correct it's the Hornby supplied speaker. I found an 8 ohm when in one of those sound birthday cards and when that was used no crackle heard. Then to make double sure I used an 8 ohm speaker from a computer speaker set. Again no crackle. I do have sugar cube speakers on oreder. What I did find with the computer speaker that at a volume CV177 @ 8 (max) the loco cut out after a few chuffs, possible the current draw was too large. OK on vol 4. I wear hearing aids and vol 4 (default) is loud enough for me. So possible that the original speaker didn't like it when I used volume 8 on it.

Archived