TTS Decoder Suitably for a Western Class 52

OssieB

I have a Lima Western Class 52 that I would like to fit a TTS decoder into. Not having heard the sound of a Western class for over 50 years (when I left Western Region), can anyone who has heard one of the preserved ones give any suggestions which of the diesel TTS decoders may give a reasonable sound of the twin diesels and the horns. I know that it will not give the long start up procedure that is necessary for a diesel-hydraulic, but I am not concerned about that. I will either hard wire the decoder in (as current one) or buy a 8 pin socket.

BarryO

Given that Hornby don't do one you might want to take a look at Digitrax. They do a relatively low cost sound decoder, with more funcitons than a TTS, that can be have different projects reloaded to them (if you have or know someone with the sound effects programmer). There is a Class 52 project available for free from the digitraxsound Yahoo group. You can download the soundloader software for free and try the sounds to see if it would sound ok to you then decide if you wanted to invest in a decoder and method of loading the sound file to it....

Thank you both for your replies.

LMS, I will persue your suggestion of the Digitrax and the Yahoo group sound file. I have tried to access the digitraxsound group, but I keep getting a message that I need to a member. At the moment I have not found out how to join - I will keep trying.

BarryO

@OssieB. BarryO, if you scroll down the group home page there is a group email addresses pane and within that a subscribe email address. I think you just send an email to that address from the email account you want to register with, Andy

PS There may be a green "Join Group" button at the top of the about panel too

@LMSFan72. Thank you Andy for the information on SoundLoader. I have sucessfully downloaded this and opened up the Class 52 file. The sounds all appear to be similar to clips I have viewed on YouTube in the last few days. I have now to do some research on what decoder to consider and how I get the sound project loaded.

@RAF. Thank you for your suggestion on looking into Econami sound decoders. Whilst they are slightly less expensive than Zimo or Loksound decoders, I have listened to clips of their UK diesel sounds and horns and I do not think they will be suitable.

I have found that Coastaldcc do have a Class 52 sound project for either Zimo or Loksound decoders, but I am a little reluctant to pay circa £100 at the moment. 

BarryO

Archived