Connecting a walkabout controller for the first time

Mullaghmorerailways

I've connected the select controller to the elite and followed the instructions. Looks like it works until I go to select a loco on the walkabout. The CE error code comes up. Any ideas of what went wrong? If I turn the power off and on the CE code appears on the walkabout straight away. I also have a hornby feedback module connected if that makes any difference.

I believe the CE error can occur when the firmware on the Elite and Select doesn't quite work together properly.

I would make sure the Elite is up to date.  Updating the Elite, if necessary, may solve the problem.  If not, you may need to have the Select updated by Hornby.  In the mean time, just try pressing "Cancel" on the Select when you get the error.

Also make sure your link cable between the Select and Elite is the correct one.  There are two different ones available, one works properly and the other one doesn't.  The incorrect one is supposed to be used to connect a booster.

Just to provide a bit more clarity to Rog(RJ)'s comment above.

Make sure you are using the round R8266 Walkabout cable AND NOT the flat R8236 cable. Early Hornby documentation infers that the R8236 cable can be used. Hornby found issues using this cable and replaced it with the round R8266 version.

Just to provide a bit more clarity to Rog(RJ)'s comment above.

Make sure you are using the round R8266 Walkabout cable AND NOT the flat R8236 cable. Early Hornby documentation infers that the R8236 cable can be used. Hornby found issues using this cable and replaced it with the round R8266 version.

Thanks for your help. I bought the R8236 flat cable not realising there was a difference. I tried making my own using cat 5 cable with 6 pin rj12 connectors but still got the same error code. How do you update the select controller software and is 1.42 the latest version for the elite?

The latest Elite firmware is V1.44 downloadable from here https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/downloads/view/index/cat/9/

Unfortunately, the Select can only be updated by sending it back to Hornby.  Last I heard the cost was £15.

Thanks Rog. Should I hold off updating the elite if it causes problems with the software between it and the select? There's a guy on eBay selling round 4 wire rj12 cable for the walkabout that might be worth a try. I can't find any stockist selling the r8266 plus I need about 6-7m long. 

The latest firmware for the Select is version 1.5 (shows as 15 in the power up LCD display). Version 1.5 is recommended as being the most compatible with Elite firmware versions 1.42 & 1.44

The latest firmware for the Select is version 1.5 (shows as 15 in the power up LCD display). Version 1.5 is recommended as being the most compatible with Elite firmware versions 1.42 & 1.44

Thanks Chris. The select starts with 11 30 so I assume it means v1.1. I'll try the round cable before upgrading. Real pain to have to send the select back for an upgrade.

Yes, the 11 denotes firmware Version 1.1. The 30 denotes the main circuit board revision level.

Just a TIP for information. When replying, it is preferred if the "White Arrow in Blue Box" button is not used. This 'quote' button is not a "Reply to this post" button and just replicates the previous posts unnecessarily. It is much preferred if the 'Reply' text box at the bottom of the page is used instead, particularly when the reply you are posting follows exactly after the post you are replying to.

Note that this reply is not using the 'blue button' and is less distracting than the your 'yellow text box' replies. Yet it is still fairly obvious whose post my (this) reply is responding to.

I have a Select as a Walkabout to my Elite and they work perfectly.  My Select Firmware has never been updated and my Elite is not at the latest version.

However, as has been pointed out above, it is essential to have the correct special cable.

The reverse loop module if working OK before with the Elite or Select on their own should not be a problem now.

I seem to remember discussion a while back that the Select had to be brought up to v1.5 to work with the Elite if that was at latest revision i.e. at the time v1.43. As usual I can't find it using search.

Rob

Thanks Chris. The select starts with 11 30 so I assume it means v1.1. I'll try the round cable before upgrading. Real pain to have to send the select back for an upgrade.

Sold my Hornby Elite and Selects for an NCE Powercab and additional Procab throttle.  Much more user friendly than the Hornby system.

Archived