Unable to write or read CVs.

tnttrucker

I have a Duchess "City of Leeds" from the Royal Scot train pack that I have had for 4 years, Ringfield motor. I hard wired a basic Hornby chip in it at the time I got it and programmed it. It works fine on the main.

I was checking the CVs on a number of my locos via my programming track and this loco returns 'Unobtainable' for all CVs. I then changed the chip to a TTS and was able to read CVs. Being curious I re-instated the orginal chip and tried again, still CVs unobtainable. Then tried it back on the main and it works as it had previously  which fortunately is quite well.

I expect the answer is that the chip is now faulty. Has this happened to anyone else?

I use Railmaster via Elite controller.

Not all chips are/were readable.  The old Hornby R8215 decoder which was the forerunner of the R8249 went through a number of updates and the early ones were unreadable.  You could still program them but they were unreadable.  Maybe you have one of those?

Not all chips are/were readable.  The old Hornby R8215 decoder which was the forerunner of the R8249 went through a number of updates and the early ones were unreadable.  You could still program them but they were unreadable.  Maybe you have one of those?

Thank you for that info. I know I programmed the chip via the Elite and had never bothered to read CVs with it.

By the way I approve of your tag line, I play to!

Archived