Caledonian Railway anyone?

Wolseley

I am rather surprised that the Caledonian Railway has never attracted much attention from the manufacturers of ready to run models, with the notable exception of the Tri-ang-Hornby Single and, to a lesser extent the Hornby 0-4-0ST, which is more of a representation of a prototype than a model of one.

They were stylish in appearance, and a great deal of the later locomotives survived into British Railways days, which would, I think, give models of them a fairly wide appeal.

Take the Pickersgill 60 class 4-6-0 - a distinctive looking machine that was built by both the CR and the LMS.  All but three of them passed into British Railways ownership in 1948.  Equally at home on passenger or goods trains (although mostly goods in their later years) they wore blue, red and black liveries over the years.

The Pickersgill 4-4-0 (of either the 72 or 113 class) would be another contender (I am discounting the Dunalastairs here as, being older engines, scrapping commenced earler and, in any case, some of them have a pronounced similarity to the T9, already modelled by Hornby).  A Pickersgill 4-4-0 could be marketed in CR blue, LMS red, LMS lined black, LMS unlined black, BR unlined black, or BR lined black with either "British Railways", the cycling lion or the ferret and dartboard.  They could, in later years, be seen at work through a large part of the Scottish Region, including the ex-highland Railway, which seems to be rather popular with modellers.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

a Cardean 4-6-0 too.

Or, keeping to McIntosh 4-6-0s, a 179 or 908 class would be another possibility.  Personally though I think that the Pickersgill 60 class would be the better choice, as they were a relatively numerous class and survived into BR days.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As a proud owner of one of the early Triang versions, I would be only too happy to buy a fully detailed model of the Cally 123. Maybe this is something for the NRM (Locomtion) Shildon to consider a comoission by Hornby, as it forms part of the national collection.

Bill

Archived