Problems fitting Decoder to DCC ready Murdoch.

Billyizak

Hi There,

We fitted the plug in decoder to Murdoch successfully but can't get the body back on properly! The cab end seems to have the most room but it's so tight that the chips are almost poking through the insulation sleeve. This is with the body

almost on but not quite - it doesn't sit level and looks silly! I don't want to force it - maybe there is a better place to put the decoder?

Regards

I had the same trouble as you but after talking to Hornby and a closer look at the instructions I was able to fit the decoder to a Murdoch.

The position of the decoder is as you thought, in the boiler and to get it there the wires straight and stretched,i.e.

no kinks. With regard to the insulation of decoder from the loco it seems that the advice is updated. The first decoder I bought came with an insulating sleeve but the second one was not supplied with one. As far as I understand the advice now is as follows.

Don't

use a sleeve or otherwise wrap the decoder in insulating tape.
This is likely to cause overheating and significantly increases the size of the decoder for the space available.

Do insulate the area of the loco that could come into contact with the

decoder with insulating tape

Do test the loco before refitting the body.

My loco would not run initially, hence the second decoder, but with the same failure to respond. To make it work I reset the controller then both decoders worked.

I

hope this helps.

Archived