Hornby Setup - Points Help

Disco

Hi all

Could be a long one, but basically we have Mixed Freight Set (Oval) and Extension Packs A,B,C and F.

At the moment I have the large Hornby TrakMat ( http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/images/hornby-2007/train-sets/trakmat-lrg.jpg

)

When fully complete, this holds 8 points - 7 main ones, and 1 I shall model into the set when creating an extra siding/fidle yard.

Basically. my question is what EXACTLY do I need to be able to control these 8 points digitally, but at the

same time, keep costs down.

Do you need a Hornby Points Decoder (£30) and then a surface mount/hidden motor with shell PER point? If so, I'm looking at almost £10 per point plus TWO decoders at £30 each? Can someone tell me if that is right, and point

me into the right direction to purchase such items that I will need.

Hi,

You will need two decoders, one points decoder will do four points. A point motor for each point, I prefer the surface side mounted Peco PL-11's as I've had issues with the Hornby point motors not being strong enough to throw the point blades

back and fourth. You haven't said whether you are running a DC or a DCC layout? If it is DC I'd imagine you will also need a point lever switch per point too. I run a DCC layout using a digital controller handset. Andy

Hi

Thats not quite right info there

1 You do need 1 point motor for each point is correct
what type you get depends on what you whant it to do
and how your track is set up ( baseboard wise )

2 Point decoders,, there are several

tpes for this
but assuming you are talking Hornby

The Hornby decoder indeed has 4 outlets
but
1 out let can control more than 1 point
If you have a situation were 2 points need to be thrown to make a route
then they can both be thrown

by one outlet at the same time
infact i have occasion were 1 outlet is throwing 4 points to form a route
you will also need a point lever and the wiring

now i dont know were you will buy the levers or how much you will pay for them
but before

you buy them add the price up (cost of 8 )
it could be cheaper to buy the Railmaster and then control them direct from the
computer with a mouse click ( no levers required )

you already have the computer to run it on else you would not be here

on
this site

do your sums first

Rgds
Mike

I don't understand why point levers are being included.

I'm assuming by point lever you mean the R044 passing contact lever switch.

If the points are to be operated under DCC control from a decoder then the points are operated from the controller (Select or Elite for instance) and no point lever is needed and can't be used if a Hornby points decoder is used.

I know there are other

makes of decoder that do allow switches to be used for manual point operation alongside DCC operation but we're talking about Hornby here.

So, what's needed (for DCC operation) is a point motor for each point. Either the R8014 or R8243 type can

be used. The R8243 is easier to fit but can't be hidden under the baseboard. The R8014 can be used under the baseboard or on top of the baseboard if mounted in the R8015 point motor housing.

One point decoder is required for every four point motors

unless you have a situation where two point motors can be operated at the same time, such as a crossover from one track to another where two points are operated at the same time.

Of course you have the alternative option of not operating the points

by DCC control. Just because you are using DCC to control the trains doesn't mean you have to use it to operate the points - you can still operate the points manually, by switches, by stud and probe or by push bottons

see, I get various answers from different people and thats where it gets confusing.

We on DCC upto 8 points, cheap as possbile, but obviously in keeping with the digital thing!!

1x R8243 per point and 1x Hornby Decoder per 4 points is what

I was told somewhere along the line (no pun!)

you will find that trying to operate 8 points + maybe 2 engines on the elite can be a bit frustrating,, time you remenber the correct address for the point out of 8 you wish to change ,,, select its number on the elite and activate it the train will have

done 1 or 2 circuits around the track and either crashed or gone the wrong way.

the elite is quite good now its been updated but it still is a dog to use like you propose
in fact most controlers would be the same,,, belive me even when you can see

the layout on the screen and only have to click with the mouse,, it gets a bit hetic

anyway wish you luck what ever you end up doing

rgds
Mike

Hi disco, just wondering how you got on as you have the same set as me (mixed freight) which means a Select controller, and i have the same choice.

did you get the decoders working and which type did you use (R8247 or R8216)? I still lean toward

using switches for the reasons MikeG mentioned above (and a separate 4amp PSU)

I've got nowhere at the minute (due to time), but (due to cost, unless you can find them cheaper), i'm learning towards a Points Decoder (£30) and surface mounts (someone one on ebay is selling them for around £5.70 each which the cheapest I've seen them

Atm,

I only need 1 Points Decoder and 4 surface mounts, costing around £53. (i'll double this later in the year as we only have/need 4 actual points - but like I say, suggest a cheaper alternative, and I'll look at that too)

PS: We are DCC as well.

Archived