Running speed on gradients

RDD

In one of the Hornby leaflets I was reading on DCC it mentions that you can set the running speed of an engine to allow for gradients and the weight it may be pulling. The power must increase as the engine starts to climb the hill and then decrease

as the layout levels out. Could someone tell me how this is set up on the Hornby Elite Controller. All my engines are fitted with a stranded Hornby decoder R8249.

Without having read the leaflet I can only assume it's referring to the constant speed which results from decoders, including R8249, having Back EMF. Back EMF ( BEMF - Back Electro Motive Force) uses pulses generated by the motor to try to maintain a set

speed, much like cruise control in a car, by varying the the power applied to the motor. Going up a gradient the power is increased and while descending, the power is reduced. Obviously, if the train is too heavy its speed may still be reduced if the incline

is too steep or the train too heavy.

You don't need to set it up, the R8249 has BEMF enabled as standard. CV10 determines the speed step above which the BEMF control cuts out - see https://www.hornby.com/filelibrary/download/?FileID=137

Archived