is this so.

sweepy

Urbarm8 (not Sweepy as Fishy mentioned),

If you can only access F0 - F12 (as per your manual) it sounds like have a really old firmware version in your Elite.

Check to see what firmware version your Elite reports during power up. The latest version is 1.44 and can be updated at home by yourself (no need to ask Hornby to do it). Update if neccessary to 1.44, ask back here if you don't know how to do it.

Then download the current Elite version 1.44 Manual from this website and bin your 'out of date' paper manual.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/downloads/view/index/cat/11/

The above link is found under the 'Help & Advice' navigation option in the red bar above.

'Help & Advice' / 'Manuals' / 'Hornby Digital Instruction Manuals' / 'R8214 Hornby Elite'

Didn't mean to hijack this thread!

Next time I use it, I shall have a look at the firmware version. I didn't try pressing the function button more than once, just went by the instruction manual. But alas I shall print the upto date one. 

Thanks all

Urbarm8, I would be interested to know (out of curiosity) as to what version of firmware your Elite has installed, so do please report back once you have checked.

• 2 years later...

Not bad, 2 years later i finally check! It was V.1.41. 

I've updated it now, it took 4 attempts. PC type:3 done the trick.

I'd just jumped ahead before reading the whole instructions and done type 1. It failed, tried it again on #1 to make sure, then read the rest of the instructions. Done it on #2 and it failed twice. I found a PDF in the folder which had explanations, it said about type 3. Tried that and it worked.

Sorry for the really really late reply, all my stuff was in storage

I read this post and suddenly realised my Elite Software was not up to date, I am currently at V1.42. So I went to the Hornby Website to get the instructions and latest files. Surprise, surprise the link to the files gives me an error page does not exist. I notified Hornby, but does anybody know what is going on.

Colin, as you can see in the image below the Elite file D.L worked for me. Are you going to the correct download page.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/downloads/view/index/cat/9/

/media/tinymce_upload/5bf0c8ccd16cb2737ac9389b7d061890.jpg

I do find however that the Hornby website consistently displays a "404 Page not found" error on pages I know for a fact are there. I usually close my browser (Firefox on PC) then try again and the correct page loads at the second attempt. This Hornby website error is becoming so frequent now that I assume that every "404 error" I see is a false one, until that is I have tried to load the page several times.

@Iliketransport

I have removed your post.  Active promotion of other brands is not allowed.

Thanks WTD for pointing it out (your related post was removed as well)

I didn't think it was active promotion, all I was was suggesting that maybe other brands may be better for a couple of the items. I read the forum rules and it states that other brands may be discussed just not promoted and I didnt realise it was promoting them specifically so sorry.

Whilst this will be definitely in the wrong place and will be moderated the Hornby website needs a total revamp as there are far too many glitches. Moderation in some instances is heavy handed as well with one moderator persistantly going over every single post and maoderating far too heavily, hence one of the reasons I do not frequent the site very often.

The general unwritten rule is you can recommend something by brand name if Hornby does not make one or if they are out of stock e.g. Points decoders, frog switching devices, etc. You may discuss the merits of anything versus Hornby but not actively promote that other make e.g. track and points. You are allowed to identify things by their brand name, it is not necessary to mask it in coded letters like P*co or ‘blue box’, etc.

What Hornby is trying to avoid by having such rules on their forum is folk posting e.g. This Hornby item is rubbish so never buy it, always buy that make item instead. Obviously this is more difficult with things like basic track and points but you have the get out that Hornby do not make electrofrog points, nor do they make the wide range of points and track parts that Peco does. You are allowed to say e.g. In my experience Peco points are more reliable than any other make I have used, or I find Peco semi-flex track easier to ise than Bachmann, etc.

To reply to Vespa - we are damned if we do and damned if we don’t moderate. E.g. the fairly recent debacle over posted drivel. What one person sees as drivel is not necessarilly what the OP saw when they posted it. There are also certain members who need special handling for various reasons that will not be discussed here and we also have to cater for balancing the opposing groups of tree huggers who leap to any and everyones defence and serial stirrers who do exactly what it says on the tin. Whichever mod replies is generally whoever is baby-sitting the forum at the time, some have more free time at certain parts of the day/night than others.

@Vespa.....

I'm sure the Forum will be sad to lose you and the benefit of your experience.........I've always found your posts to be interesting and informative.........hopefully you can re-consider and come back in the New Year....... 😎........HB