problem operating points with the select DCC controller

RedRattler

hi all, i am new to the game and need some help with my dcc controller. this question has most likely been asked before so if someone could point me to a thread or some FAQs that would be appreciated.

i use a select DCC controller, the one that

comes with the mixed freight set.

i recently decided to motorise my points and have purchased some R8243 surface points, which i have connected to the analogue accessory port on the select. when i wire them up using an SPDT momentary switch the points

work fine, but when they operate the DCC controller resets.

i suspected & have since read in forums that the 1amp power supply that comes with the select is not up for controlling points, and i need to upgrade to something more powerful. is that the

case and what would be the recommended power supply.

Point motors take about 3 to 4 amps each and the standard 1 Amp power supply just can't supply this much current, resulting in the Select resetting.

Using the 4 Amp power supply (C7024) supplied with the Elite overcomes this problem. These power

supplies aren't listed on the Hornby website or in the 2011 catalogue any more so you may have trouble finding one.

An alternative is an old laptop power supply, try ebay or local computer repair shop (make sure the polarity and voltage is correct -

15Volts DC centre pin positive) or a new power supply such as this http://www.maplin.co.uk/high-power-multi-voltage-desktop-power-supply-48517

Another option is to use a Capacitor Discharge Unit (CDU) which costs about £8 to £10 between the Select

and the point motors and switches. The only problem with using a CDU is that they don't work well with Hornby point switches but there are alternatives.

Morning all

I'd glad someone has asked this question, as I would've asked myself. If I get you right ROG, are you saying, in order to use a Points Decoder with suface mounts (or indeed any point swtiches), I would need an additional/different power

supply, such as http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hornby-Scalextric-Digital-Multi-Purpose-Transformer/dp/B0021L9GSS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1325758621&sr=8-2

If you use a points decoder you don't need a bigger power supply and you don't need switches. You would only need the bigger power supply if you use switches to operate the points from The Select.

There is another method of overcoming the problem
which I forgot to mention in my last reply and that is to power the points separately IE no connection to the Select. In this case a separate power supply is used. An old Hornby R965 is ideal.

thanks heaps rog,

i am interested in yours and any others thoughts on the merits of digital points decoders versus switches.

my reasons for going switches were as follows:

- they seemed like a simpler more reliable solution (for

a newbie), given there have been a few posts in these and other forums from people having trouble getting the digital decoders working

- i was thinking switches would be cheaper (although i have since read in the product guide one decoder will operate

4 points, so perhaps not)

- switches seemed a more natural way of operating points, and easier, as opposed to the DCC unit (but of course thats personal preference)

I am thinking i should swap to using a the digital points decoder as reading

in another post they have a CDU which stores power to operate the points. This seems to be the better option rather than using switches & upgrading or purchasing an additional PSU ??? Any thoughts ??

The hornby documentation is misleading in this area

as it says the 15v analogue supply on the Select DCC unit can be use to operate accessories including points but clearly this is not the case

If you are staying with your Select for now, then I would get a 4amp 15-18V power supply and a CDU to operate the points. I wouldn't use the Select aux 15v - for some reason it 'upsets' the other aspects of the usage of the Select and in any case you need

the juice for your two trains on the Mixed Freight set. I tried it once and every time I tried to use the Select in this way it sort of reset it into some strange mode.

So - CDU, external chunky power supply, and some P*** point switches ( they are

the better ones in my opinion)

Steve

Archived