R3284TTS on Elink runs but no sound

Hi all, this is my first time here and I am a noob with model rail in general but decided to get into it so that I could spend more time with my Son.  I bought a Hornby Tornado Pullman set (not dcc) and a seperate R3284TTS Flysing Scotsman along with Railmaster and the Elink.  I have installed RM and added the loco using R3284T and I can get this to run but cannot get it to produce any sound.  As this is the only loco on this setup as yet I have left the DCC id as the default [3].  Could someone help me to get this little beauty talking to me?

Kieran

My apologies to you if I am stating the obvious, but I take it that you have actually issued an F1 command from your R3284TTS Scotsman throttle in RailMaster to turn your sound on. But you would be amazed how many posts there have been in the past where 'new DCC users' did not realise that the sound has to be turned on first, before you can hear the steam chuff sounds.

See this previous thread regarding setting up the R3284TTS from scratch.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/how-to-set-up-default-sound-functions-on-scotsman-r3284tts/?p=1

See also the threads linked to within the above posts for further related reading.

If after sending an F1 command you still have no sound and none of the other F(Function) sounds operate either such as for example the whistles. Then suspect that you have a faulty speaker with your TTS decoder. Posting history has shown that TTS speaker faults (either noise crackle or speaker is dead or just very quiet) are far too common on these TTS decoders.

Hi Chris, thanks for the response.  Yes, I read through the link you sent before posting and I have tried F1 prior to submitting the post but get nothing.  I can press the function keys and it looks like they are activating in the throttle panel but no sound.  It's interesting that mention possible faulty speaker, I opened the tender and noticed that the common (ground) at the speaker end had an excessive amount of bare wire and I am wondering if that may have cause a short or something.  I'll get another speaker and try that.

RegardsKieran

If there was a short, then it may be that the audio amplifier on the TTS decoder has blown. If that is the case, then as it is a factory fitted decoder, you will then need to send the loco back for repair / replacement under warranty.

Archived