1/76 Crusader

Ratch

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Crusader; good kit, well made. 

Interesting about the rusting/non-rusting air intakes.  I bet that any crew/unit that let them go rusty would have caught a reprimand from somewhere!  Hence, my assumption would be 'kept in good order' and not rusted/otherwise corroded.

• 7 months later...

This is another golden oldie that I recently bought again after many years. The model on the left is one that I made in the early seventies, the one on the right was bought on e-bay earlier this year. The vintage one is adorned with my attempt at weathering, made worse (or better?) by forty odd years in a drawer. I seem to remember that a favourite weathering technique of mine as a kid was holding a kit over burning sprue and allowing the smoke to stain it. Funnily enough I've never seen this particular method ever recommended by IPMS!

Still the old clunker is still going strong. I'm glad to see that there is no deterioration to the plastic as yet. I've no idea how long my older kits will last, but fifty or so years seems to have no effect on them. Long may it continue.

/media/tinymce_upload/2677c026e3de6888f678464d85728e84.JPG

Thanks for the quick reply, Ratch.

I wonder if there's a way of fitting the new Cromwell iv tracks to the Crusader?

I really like the small scale armour. If all the tank kits were revised and updated to the Cromwell iv type of tracks, there would be a whole lot of youngsters (and us older modellers) getting a more satisfactory result from the builds.

Yes, new toolings would be most welcome. Reading ntrocket88's post it looks like you'd need to cut'n'shut the body to match the length of the Cromwell tracks.

Brilliant! A great how-to guide and an excellent result.

I wonder if using the new Cromwell wheels and tracks would allow the hull length to be shortened to scale. Not sure where would be best to make the cuts across the hull though. That would also solve the tracks problem.

Very nice, Jopres57.

I hope you didn't inhale too much of that smoking sprue!

Thanks for the compliment Michael.

As far as the weathering is concerned. Well, as they say, there was no Health and Safety in those days. Now I think about it, it might be a good idea to emphasise that I don't recommend the use of burning sprue in any activity! I don't want to cause offence to any casual viewer.

On a similar note, I was going to refer to my vintage model as an 'old girl' instead of an 'old clunker' but thought better of it.

What colour did you use on the more recent Crusader, the tan one? Jopres57.

I only made this a few months ago and already I've almost forgotten. I don't spend all that much time on vehicles and AFV's so I took some advice from Google. I'm 99% sure that it's Humbrol 121 Pale Stone.

Archived