Grand Prix set C653

bridgemn123

I get all the unusual items that a local Cancer Research shop can't deal with. I have a C653 in it's box and looking just about complete but sadly it has many faults

- 2 fat rear tyres are needed

- the braids are very worn

- the back ends wave all over the place (should there be a rear slot?)

- the white Sally car has no rear aerofoil (yellow Avon car has blue aerofoil and number 22)

Do I put the whole lot in the bin?

That set was first released in 1996. It was a basic, entry level set and has the old 'Classic' Scalextric track system. The cars in the set are 'generic' Formula One style cars. All in all, nothing special. Oh, and that tail-out action is what Scalextric used to be like - and even more so on old tyres.

If you look around, you should be able to find a replacement rear wing for the Sally car. Rear tyres (replace them on both cars) should be available too. Braid is the same as is used on modern cars. The total cost of parts should be about £10, a little more with postage. An email to Scalextric Car Restorations is a good place to start.

If you are aiming to sell this in the Cancer Research shop, I saw a bigger set from the same era marked up for £45 and displayed in the window of a local charity shop... It sold within a few days and I have to say I was really surprised, it seemed overpriced to me. I guess that is the appeal of Scalextric! I've seen the cars (with or without rear wings) sell for around £20 for the pair on eBay - useful to know if the charity shop sells online. Old sets like this are rarely economical to post but the cars can be.

Good luck with raising some money for your charity.

Archived