Class 08 Sound Problems - R2902XS

ModelMayhem

Hi All !

This is my first post on here, and hope that some-one perhaps can assist me.

I have a Class 08 EWS, Chris Wren with sound, I believe the Loksound 3.5 Decoder?

All works good at first and without sound runs as normal.  If the sound is switched on, everything will work perfect until such time that the loco is brought to a complete halt, and then will not move until the sound is switched off. If the speed controller is brought to zero but the loco is coasting and then the speed is increased again, it will continue to work fine.  

I am using an NCE Powercab, and do not have any problems with other sound locos, which include TTS and Bachmann, etc.  I haven't tried a reset, possibily this would help?

Any help or ideas of what to try would be appreciated.

This is of no help to you, but I have the exact same model and have never seen the symptoms you describe. I use Elite with RailMaster. Writing 8 to CV8 will perform a complete factory reset including regressing your address back to 003. I would try this anyway, just to rule it out.

PS - I can confirm that it is indeed the Loksound V35 decoder.

EDIT: However, there is a long delay before the Chris Wren moves off from a standstill, about 5 to 7 seconds or so, whilst the sound goes through its loco moving off routine and gets into synchronisation. This is perfectly normal. Is this delay what you are seeing, or does it remain stationary no matter how long you wait. If you are just seeing this delay, then there is a CV in the Loksound that will override it, but that does affect how the sound plays. The delay doesn't bother me, so I am quite happy to leave the CV settings at their defaults.

I'm with Chrissaf - I have a 'noisy' 08, and that is exactly the same - you have to wait for it to make revving up noises, etc.

Just ensure that the track and wheels are clean, in case you happen to stop on a speck of muck that makes the decoder think that the power is turned off - then it has to go through the 'start-up' routine again before it will move.

Hi.

than for the replies and ideas. I am aware of the delay, but this is not the cause.

i tried it again today on my programming track which is just a metre long of flexi. the problem has changed slightly in that it will not respond to moving with the sound on. If I start it moving and then switch the sound on, all ok, and remains good until I stop the lI I, switch the sound off and then on again, fails to move!

would a reset make any difference? I think I read that hornby improved the pick ups of later models, but i have checked wheels and track and all is good.

Archived