How easy to fit DCC sound to current Hornby King Charles II R 3401 steamer?

Guest Chrissaf

@ LCDC

There is a King Class TTS decoder so download the associated loco service sheet (HSS416, but compare with HSS206 and 260) to see how and where it fits, yes there is a socket and speaker mount in the tender, hence virtually Plug-n-Play. Just leave out the speaker enclosure if supplied and back seal the speaker under the chassis weight for best accoustics.

The hardest bit will be getting the tender body off.

There will be a TTS installation guide published on site soon supplementing the basic retro-installation guide, as I am writing it, basically common sense applied to existing information. The average modeller will have no problem adapting TTS retro-fit kits to any loco, but Plug-n-Play snowflakes may struggle getting the packet open.

Rob

Is there any leaflet to download showing how to fit? I know this will be in with the loco but would like an idea of what's what.

It is unlikely that there will be a TTS decoder specific 'How to Install' leaflet included with the loco.

Are there any sound installation guides on this site for download?

The TTS 'How to Install' leaflet (this is all the information you currently get with a TTS decoder) is downloadable from the TTS decoder product page. The King Class TTS decoder is the R8109. Here is the link for it. The 'Installation Guide' (the only installation guide there currently is) is downloadable from a link on the R8109 product page - see clickable link above.

With regard to a more in depth 'TTS Installation Guide that will be downloadable'..........not yet. But there maybe one later, so watch this space.

/media/tinymce_upload/12ea09ed3d5cb4ff662f464f79810fa6.jpg

The R3401 stock code number is for the train set, not the loco within it. But given that the set is very recent, then the loco is more than likely covered by the King Class Service Sheet 416. The extract below is taken from SS 416 and the yellow highlight shows the speaker mount and decoder socket in the tender.

/media/tinymce_upload/565af81c039c5f7aabc6eea57ae0ffd3.jpg

EDIT: Rob posted his reply whilst I was busy preparing mine. Confirming the enhanced 'TTS Installation Guide' I as alluding to.

Hello. Considering buying the latest Hornby King class loco catalogue number R 3401. It is DCC (8 pin) ready and ready to accept sound. Is there any leaflet to download showing how to fit? I know this will be in with the loco but would like an idea of what's what. Alternatively, has anyone fitted a speaker in this current version (in the tender presumably) if so, how easy was it to do?

Are there any sound installation guides on this site for download?

I have the Bristolian set and can confirm that the King is the latest version as shown in the service sheet above. I have fitted the King TTS decoder to mine with no problems. I seated the speaker on a narrow bead of black tack. Ideally air gaps in the chassis should be sealed to turn the whole tender body into a sealed speaker enclosure but I have not tried that yet. It is difficult to see how a specific speaker enclosure could be fitted if the original clamping plate / weight is used. 

As it is the sound if quite good if a bit lacking in bass which would doubtless be improved if the tender body was sealed.

Personally I'd throw away the supplied speaker and fit a sugar cube in the loco. I have fitted three TTS kits to locos 2 A4s and a Castle. On one of the A4s the speaker started to give crackle sound when playing sounds, it was never used at max volume. Ok Hornby sent me another one but I bought sugar cubes. Much better sound from them, and cheap to buy.  They also fit in the loco so the sound comes from the right place.

• 1 year later...

Are these special pack models the same mechanically and electrically as the idividual locos? In other words is the King Charles II used in The Bristolian pack essentially the same as one of the other Kings? Also does it have a 5 pole skew wound motor? Are the flanges on the wheels scale or oversized? You already answered my question about it being DCC ready. If you want really good bass try one of the High Bass speakers sold by Railmaster Hobbies. They have a rubber diaphragm and metal cone that can put out bass frequencies that will rattle your windows and doors. I use sugar cubes in all my diesels but my steam locos get the High Bass speakers.

Archived