Focus needs lots of throttle

barryhi33

Just bought secondhand Focus C2962 (retrofitted digital) and whilst it is as fast as my other 'Rally' type cars it needs a lot more throttle to get it upto speed. When pulling the throttle about the same as the other cars it crawls around the track.

I like to use a couple of cars as 'Pace' cars (which means they need to be similar in throttle response) and sadly this means this car is not useable for that purpos, although fine when racing.

Is this something that can be adjusted somehow or just the way it is ?

I think it's a case of taking the body off and having a look. Make sure none of moving parts seem overly tight and the tyres aren't rubbing on the body or chassis. A little oil on the gear and the axles insidethe bearings - general maintenance.

I'm pretty sure that Focus is 4x4 car - the motor is at the front driving the front wheels via sidewinder gear and also driving the rear wheels via a rubber drivebelt. It could be that it takes a bit more power to get all four wheels powered (as opposed to the usual two), but then is similar in to speed to your other cars when it is going.You could slip the drive belt off the rear axle and see if that does the job.

Another possibility might be the opposite of the BTCC BMW 125 problem on another thread - too much magnet. Sometimes you find two magnets instead of the usual one in a second-hand car. That would need a lot more power to get going. Or the car (and the magnet) might just be lower to the track than your other cars?

Good luck!

Archived