Hornby Elite update to V 1.44

Guest Chrissaf

Many of you, me included have followed the update instructions perfectly, watched the download take place, only to see “failed” at the end. It took me a while to troll through  tube but finally found an answer. I assumed from the instructions that my computer was “old” and therefore was instructed to use type 1 - wrong! I finally repeated the process but used type 2 for the computer and it worked immediately! Try it; it may serve to restore your blood pressure to normal!

The Hornby instructions do actually say, if it doesn't work using one PC Type, then try another and another until you find the one that works for you.

There are many posts on here regarding the 1.44 upgrade. In the main, they all recommend using "PC Type 2" as the first choice.

So although your post is somewhat 'old news', congratulations on finding your own solution and getting it to work. Self reliance, is something we see far too little of on the forum.

I see that you joined the forum yesterday and this is your first post. So welcome to the forum. If you have any future issues, you are more likely to get them resolved more quickly asking here than 'trawling through tube' - I assume you mean YouTube by that statement.

• 1 month later...

Hello All,

Could someone please let me know what firmware would be in a brand new Elite controller if I bought one today in a model shop. Also, a bit of a silly question here, would I have to re-program all my locos' decoders or would the brand new Elite recognise the existing decoder addresses?

Many thanks for any advice you can give me.

Hi Michael 

I would probably think that it would be the latest firmware version but depending on how long the seller has had it on his shelf, but you can check it when you get it what version it is.

Also your locos will work with the same address on any controller you put on your layout ( even if you have 6 controllers will work ) as the locos remember it’s address unless it has reverted back to the factory settings so if any of your locos won’t work on the address you have programmed it try using the default of 3 

Hedley

What firmware would be in a brand new Elite controller if I bought one today in a model shop.

You would have to ask the seller how long the Elite had been sitting on his shelves in stock. If it had been in his stock unsold for say 8 months, then it would have the firmware that was current 8 months ago. Yet to you, it would still be a brand new purchase. Your question is impossible to answer without knowing the status of the shop sellers stock.

You have two options, ask the shop seller to take the Elite out of the box and power it up so you can see boot up firmware version that is displayed. Of course, the seller might know the firmware version already without doing that.

The other option, is to buy it anyway, as the firmware upgrade can be done at home by yourself. There are posts on this forum giving 'step by step' how to guides. This one for example.

Would I have to re-program all my locos' decoders or would the brand new Elite recognise the existing decoder addresses?

The decoder in the locos are completely oblivious to what firmware is in the controller, so no, you would not need to re-program your loco decoders. If you wanted to change your loco addresses because say for example you have previously been using a Select and now want loco addresses higher than 59, you could do that optionally if you want, but you don't HAVE to.

Archived