FGW HST

GDG256

Hello everyone,

Sorry if this is an old topic but I can’t find a direct answer.

I’ve recently upgraded my layout to DCC with the Elite. Ive got a DCC Ready FGW Class 43 HST Pack. It comes with the power car and the unmotored car.

I’m going to install the standard R8249 decoder into it. There are two questions I have:

1. How many decoders do I intall? Do I install just one in the power car or do I put one in the unmotored car too?

2. If I do install two decoders, how do I programme the two cars to the Elite and then run them? Do I have to programme them both / together / separately? 

Again, apologies if this question has been done-to-death.

Thanks in advance. 

for (1) you will need two decoders 1 in each car 

for (2) programme them together with the same address , check directional lights are correct if not adjust cv 29 to correct directional lighting 

no apologies needed 

Great, thanks very much for such a quick reply. 

Some options on programming just in case.  Yes, same address and if both will program together on the programming track you’re done.  If not and you need to program separately, you can try the dummy car as is but may not program as some decoders need to see a motor load before they will.  If that happens, swap the dummy car decoder into the power car to program to the same address, then swap it back.

PS.  As you suspected, this has been answered many times before.  I found one previous answer by doing a forum search on dummy car.  The trouble with these searches though is that the forum search is a dumb variety not smart.  You usually need to use a short or single word search term to get anywhere and often in post contents, not just title. 

Archived