Cable sizing conundrum

collectors

Hi, i want to use DCC Concepts ADS-8sx decoder for some point motors but 2 of the points are 16met away. I am trying to find out what cable size is recommended for this sort distance. The terminals on this ADS-8sx unit wont take anything over 1.0mm/17awg & i got the impression i should be using a slightly larger cable. Or am i getting over worried. 

Thanks for any help. 😆

Hi thanks for the quick response, yes, its 16met, the layout is on a shelf in 2 rooms running around the walls, so longer runs couldn’t be avoided. If larger wire is needed for these two points i could run 2.5mm but would have to drop down to 1mm for the last few inches at the decoder.    If i moved  the decoder closer it would be catch 22 with the other points that are close & also haven’t really got a convenient spot for the decoder being a shelf layout.

Just a second thought!  If you do mean a wire run length of 16 Mtrs then... Fit a three way terminal block close to the decoders terminals (one three way block for each solenoid motor) then wire from the decoders output terminals to one side of the block with wire which will fit into the decoders terminals, then use a heavier wire from the other side of the block out to the motor. At the motor end do the same, fitting a three way terminal strip block close to the motor and terminate the heavy wire then use suitable wire e.g.16/0.2mm or 20AWG from the block to the motor. 

Each ends smaller sized wires being no more than 6 inches or roughly 150mm long.

Hi, sorry if i looked rude not getting back, but as a newbie i am limited to two posting because of spam within 24 hours.Hi Headley, what sort of lenth was your runs in 18awg/  1.0mm2/  32/0.2.  lol?

Hi, Flashbang, i have also found some small terminals that may fit at TLC.

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CTPINslashB.html?source=adwords&ad_position=1o1&ad_id=45425533757&placement=&kw=&network=g&matchtype=&ad_type=pla&product_id=CTPIN%2fB&product_partition_id=174053084227&test=finalurl_v2&gclid=CjwKCAjw-bLVBRBMEiwAmKSB8wPhOpT_XV0nnWKcWOX_-bRh1hjkA6nG2BGM7py5Vv5jZOAA0MOPuxoCa1UQAvD_BwE

When operating two points from one decoder port I removed a small number of strands from each cable to enable entry into the decoder terminal.

I'm definitely not an electrical expert but surely this could be done with a single heavier cable and would give the same result as running a smaller gauge cable for 150mm to a terminal block.

Hi Collectors 

some of my runs are about 6 1/2 ft to 8ft and some are double points to one port on the decoder and the instructions for the decoder or the point motors said what gauge wire for to use so being a newbie I had done what the instructions said and followed them but I have had no problems with doing it that way 

Hedley

• 1 month later...

Archived