New banked turns - how useful could they be?

I like cars

I have recently seen the banked turns on the website that are expected later in the year (I believe September). Obviously, this should help to reach higher speeds than by using flat turns of the same radius. I have no experience with banked track, so I am not sure how great this effect would be. For example, would a banked R2 allow speeds similar to a flat R3? Would the effect be more or less than this? I appreciate that while this particular set of corners may not yet have been tried out, I am hoping that some people may have previous experience of similar curves (I believe that there were some produced in the classic days) and would appreciate any advice in this regard. Thank you.

The banked R2 & R3 curves are re-releases - they were available when the Sport system was in its early days and also came in some sets. You're right in saying the 10-degree banking does allow you to go through the corners quicker - probably not far off what you describe. I have some of the R2 banks, although I am not using them in my layout at the moment. You can definitely drive further into the corner and carry more speed through it.

It's nice to see these re-released, together with the C8212 barrier & clip pack that a lot of people have been asking for.

Archived