Railmaster/elink/win 10

Some years ago I purchased a Hornby Select controller which works fine with the locos I have and have use. I have tried all of the solutions I have found on the forum and wriiA number of years ago I also bought a Railmaster/Elink setup but have only just installed in on my laptop as my grandsons are now old enough to use railmaster. However the issue I have is that the railmaster/elink setup controls the locos but I cannot read/write CV codes or renumber the locos to use there loco nos ( eg my Thompson would be 9001 instead of 03). I have read the the forums and tried all of the solutions but nothing seems to work. When I start Railmaster the status light flashes a few times them goes out (is this correct). I do not get any error message from Railmaster so I presume it is able to talk to the Elink. The driver my computer installs is from Microchip Technology, dated 14/2/2014, version 5.1.2600.8, railmaster has updated to version 1.69, Elink has updated to version 1.07. Before I throw it in the bin and buy another controller has anyone got any ideas.

When you had a Select, you would have been very used to using the track output of the Select to program your locos with. The eLink works differently. With the eLink you have to connect a short length of spare track to the 'Prog A&B' output of the eLink, put your locos on that spare length of track to perform DCC configuration activities.

Now it may be that is exactly what you are doing, but you never actually said so in your posted question. Given that you say that you can control the locos using RM / eLink, then that would seem to rule out eLink communication issues. Thus it would appear to be your methodology and process that is in question. Hence my comment about are you using a 'programming track piece' correctly.

If you are indeed using a separate programming track connected to the eLink 'Prog A&B' output, then describe 'step by step' what you are doing. That is to say, what screen in RM are you using, what icons buttons are you pressing in what order etc. As we can't see what you are actually doing, then we can't offer advice on what you might be doing wrong unless you tell us (exactly) the process you are following.

PS - If you are not using a dedicated programming track piece, but because of your previous experience of using a Select, are connecting your main layout to the eLink 'ProgA&B' output instead (assuming you are removing all the other locos from the track when you do that). Then that is unlikely to work. The programming signal level output of the eLink is very low level and needs to be connected as near damn it directly to the loco decoder with the cleanest possible electrical connection.

Thanks guys, The answer was obvious. Yes I was using a programming track but I was using it in the same way I sed it with the select - diconnecting the wires to the track and plugging the programming track in.I thought that the elink waqs the same and that the prog connection was for accessories. Soon as I connected the programming track to the prog connectors all started working find. My stupid but thanks for saving me money

Easily done, once you get into a specific mind set about how to do something. Perhaps a process refresher of reading the manual rather than just jumping in with both feet, would have found the issue solution sooner.

At the end of the day, just glad you have now got it resolved as that saves us a lot of time at this end. And we do appreciate the feedback when an issue is resolved. There are not many on here who would have owned up to making such a basic mistake.

Archived