Engine Over Loading Select

Guest Chrissaf

The Mallard has most likely developed a 'short circuit' across the wheels.

As the first step, hold the loco in your hand upside down and look carefully all over the underside for any trapped metallic debris between the wheels and chassis. Also look for any broken wires that might be touching something they shouldn't.

If you have access to a multi-meter to measure resistance, check across the pickup wheels for a very low Ohmic value that would indicate a 'short'. If you can measure a short and can't visually see the culprit through visual inspection, then you will have to take the body off and use the multi-meter (resistance scale) to diagnose what is creating the short. If the mallard has a socket fitted decoder, then unplugging the decoder can make diagnosing a short location easier. In general, 'open circuits' are easier to find than 'short circuits', so finding the component creating the short may not be a simple task.

Hi There, My son has the dual freight set, as well as all the expansion packs.  He also has the Mallard with sound.  I had both the Mallard and the Diesel from the freight set running at the same time no problems.  I took them off to reprogram the number for the steam engine.  I did this and now everytime I try to put the Mallard even on the track the select controller goes right to "OL".  I don't even need to have all the wheels on the rails and this happens.  Any ideas as to what my problem is?  

Many thanks in advance.

TB

Archived