TTS sound decoder wishlist

81F

I'd love a decoder for first generation DMU's - I have a Hornby 101 and two 121's which would benefit from retro-fitted sound not to mention a Lima 117, 6 Bachmann DMU's and a Dapol 121 that I'd be looking to equip.I feel many Diesel modellers are probably in the same boat here - can't afford to equip with £100+ decoders but would happilly invest in a TTS decoder. Hornby would sell loads if they released one.

They still have both the 101 and the 121 in their Railroad range - seems like an ideal opportunity to me.

Yes I have a Class 101 which I would love to have sound on. I wonder how they would handle the pauses when going up through the gears  😀

Ray

• 2 months later...

I'd love a decoder for first generation DMU's - I have a Hornby 101 and two 121's which would benefit from retro-fitted sound not to mention a Lima 117, 6 Bachmann DMU's and a Dapol 121 that I'd be looking to equip.I feel many Diesel modellers are probably in the same boat here - can't afford to equip with £100+ decoders but would happilly invest in a TTS decoder. Hornby would sell loads if they released one.

They still have both the 101 and the 121 in their Railroad range - seems like an ideal opportunity to me.

Yes I have a Class 101 which I would love to have sound on. I wonder how they would handle the pauses when going up through the gears  😀

Ray

Yes, I agree that a generic first generation  DMU chip based on BUT engine would sell like hot cakes - works for at least 101, 105, 108, 117 etc. On the basis of 'good enough, if we are spending sensible money on TTS rather than crazy money on the top-end sound devices, this has to be a good business proposition for Hornby. Sign me up for several... :)

• 4 months later...

Both original /'heritage' generation DMUs and the 'modern' late-BR period of 150, 153, 155,156,158,159........ with their charateristic high revving prior to departure would at considerable atmosphere to  the scene as DMUs seem to be left running at idle in platforms between services  ...... whilst a steam loco would mostly be just simmering away.

Compared to  steam loco, there is also plenty of room to add the sound (and interior lighting)  ... trains are not just for daytime !

With heritage DMUs approaching 70mph ..... the characteristic bogie hunting could be recorded too ?

I thought Heritage lines were limited to 25MPH.

That is what a Class 37 owner told me on the NNR, frustrated by not being able to ‘blast his tractor‘ down the rails now and then, due to trolls filming him with GPS tagging that logs his speed.

If you want TTS DMU decoders then keep asking for them. Until Hornby sees a decent minimum order of quantity building up their bean counters will reject any bid to make a batch.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I assume Hornby is only going to provide TTS decoders for the locos in its current range. That is sensible, but currently there are a lot in its range that are not supported. I assume a lot has to do with quantity of orders and resources to program them. Now for the technical bit, I doubt that they are really "worm" devices, as that would mean that they use ROM (read only memory), virtually everything these days is Eprom based, so I suspect that they program them and "lock" the memory so that they cannot be rewritten, so if they wanted to, they probably could make them so they could be written again, but I suspect that this function is "outsourced" so it is up to the Supplier. I assume the difference between a TTS decoder and a more expensive type is probably the power of the processor in them and the amount of memory available, hence why some of the the TTS sounds are not as good as the more expensive types. I must admit, although I have had issue with the relability of some of them, I think Hornby does a good product for the price you pay, they are not much more than a decent decoder.

CoilnB

As I keep saying TTS sound files are write once read many, otherwise known as OTP one time programmable. Once written the sound files are held in a non volatile ROM read only memory. Adjustment of the sound levels is possible by way of a separate amplifier chip.

I suspect TTS decoders use something like this for the sound files . . .

http://www.nuvoton.com/hq/products/application-specific-socs/consumer-speech/powerspeech-series/n588hp340-otp/?__locale=en

Once you get your head round that then TTS are as you say what they are, good value for a basic sound decoder. Pair them with a suitable speaker and the sound is (to my ears at least) as good as more expensive sound decoders, even if maybe not as versatile in number of channels that can play simultaneously or ability to synch chuffs. Certainly I find the diesels particularly good for sound and operartional versatility.

• 5 weeks later...

Just bumping this old thread to see if folk have any more TTS they would like to see produced that have not been released yet.

I can only think in general groups like DMUs, EMUs or a generic small steam loco, but no doubt most folk would prefer specific loco types.

Then there are the novelty types, like the TTS Vent Van and maybe a Xmas-Santa sound wagon or suited to other jolly times of year, e.g. Halloween ghost train.

Rob