Loco moving in wrong direction.

David Oakes

I have fitted a Hornby TTS Module to a Bachmann LMS 10000. It moves in the wrong direction even after changing CV29 which now reads 007 i.e. reverse direction, 1-128 speed steps and DC/DCC operation. Also does not react to DC control. Can anyone advise me how to change the direction of travel?

Reverse the grey and orange wires on the electric motor (if the loco is DCC ready with a socket, then the motor wire colours may not be grey and orange, but reverse them anyway, whatever their colours.)

Thanks Chris. I already sussed that solution which involves butchery. I was hoping there might be a more elegant solution involving e.g. CAbs.

Writing 7 to CV29 should have worked. If you don't want to reverse the physical wires I would be looking more deeply into your CV reading / writing process i.e. are you really sure that CV29 is actually 7. Write 8 to CV8 to reset the decoder to factory spec and re-address your loco and modify CV29 again.

What controller are you using?

There are a batch of TTS decoders in the supply chain for which strange behaviours are being observed, mainly with non Hornby controllers. They are being fixed free by Hornby via new firmware on the TTS chips. This Hornby admin post gives details:

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/hornby-tts-decoders-reported-problems/

Confession time! Inspired by Chris's reply I went back to square one and funnily enough when I put the decoder in the right way round the loco behaved as it should. I can't express my embarrassment without breaking the rules. Sorry to have wasted your time.  

Not a waste of time, one too easily forgets that an 8 pin decoder if installed back to front will still basically work, but in reverse. It should have been highlighted earlier by forum members as something to check.

Still not sure why CV29 @ 7 didn't work?

Archived