Hornby Points Breaking Circuit

PetersTrains

Hello

Recently, I have been experiencing issues with my Hornby points. I operate the full Hornby TrakMat Layout with some extra sidings and another loop in the middle.

When I change the points to go from the outside to the middle loops, any engines on this area of the layout stop as there is no electricity reaching them. I have Power Clips transferring power between all of the loops and this has not been an issue before.

Thank you for any ideas/responses.

-Peter

This is a new post that duplicates your question in this other post of yours.

Basically, if the locos only stop when the points are switched to the transfer from oval to oval position. Then the act of switching those points must be creating a short circuit.

When you say you

"I have Power Clips transferring power between all of the loops and this has not been an issue before."

Do you mean R8201 Link wires (or equivalent) i.e track power clips connected by a pair of wires. If you do, have you been touching these recently. If you have, then you have probably put them back with the wires reversed.

Let me explain......since you appear (from the other post) not to be using DCC point clips, but using track to track wire connections instead. Then a situation can arise where throwing the points that connect one working loop to another working loop creates a 'short circuit' that then stops all locos from running.

This theory can be proved by reversing the wires on the power clips that connect the track ovals together in turn (only one at a time) until you find the one that is reversed.

However, if reversing the power connection wires makes the situation worse, then I would suspect that one of the points has gone faulty. There are a number of posts on this forum where a point has been proven to be faulty such that a short is created but only when the point is thrown in one or other direction.

This previous post gives details of the point fault that creates a short circuit.

Your fault, is almost certainly the result of one or other of the issues documented above.

@Chrissaf

Thank you for responding (apologies for already posting this topic - I thought it hadn't posted)

What do you mean by the wires are 'reversed'? Is 'reversing' the wires a simple matter of changing which way round they go (e.g. A - B instead of A - A or vica versa). At the moment, they are set so that A goes to A and B goes to B.

-Peter

EDIT:

After having tested mutliple different combinations of wires and point settings, I have come to the conclusion that the points have gone faulty. Thank you for helping by responding.

-Peter

Thank you for responding (apologies for already posting this topic - I thought it hadn't posted).

No apologies necessary.

You posted late on Friday with an image. The image meant that the publication of the post was held back for approval by the Forum administrator. Approvals are only performed during normal UK weekday office hours (and before 3PM on Friday's). Hence why it only appeared this morning (Monday).

Although you have answered your own question, Yes by reversal, I mean A-B and B-A instead of A-A and B-B.

Given that the layout was previously working OK, then I would favour one of the points going faulty rather than oval link wires being reversed.

Assuming youre DCC,  then either add R8232 Hornby Electro point clips to ALL points (2 per point), they are sold in pack of 20, so one pack can do 10 points. Then only one power clip is needed. 

Or install a DCC bus pair of wires around and under the layout and tap off the bus pair to as many rails as is practicable above.  Ideally at least one pair of dropper feeds to every siding and loop of track. Anywhere that a point can isolate the rail power when its not set towards that direction needs a dropper pair of wires on to the rails beyond the point to overcome the self isolating feature.

BTW...  I would also 'thoroughly clean' the inside faces of all point switch rails (Moving rails) and their mating inside surface of the fixed strock rails. You need 100% clean contact moving switch rail to stock rails when closed together. If you've ballasted and PVA glued the ballast its likely PVA has got onto the inside rails surfaces making a High Resistance contact rail to rail.  'Thoroughly clean' ideally with a fibre pencil or use a scraper of some sorts along the inside faces on the points rails and moving switch rail insides in the area of where the two touch together when closed.

Archived