R8014 point motor

IvoP

I created layout for my system and I have 6 locos with 24 points. I was thinking of using one booster for locos and connect all R8247 decoders on separate (isolated track) booster(s). I cannot find anywhere how much current does one point motor need.

I

would like to know how many boosters I need for 24 point motors and how much point motors can be run at the same time. I suppose that one booster is not enough...

Hi IvoP

I have 27 sets of points on my track, the first decoder is fed from the track and then each is wired in tandem.I don't have any boosters.

After the decoder has fired a point, you need to wait a few seconds to fire a second point wired

to the same decoder.

You can fire a point on each decoder at the same time, then these need to recharge.

Hope this helps

David

Thanks for reply! I'm newbie here... Can you tell me what does it mean 'wired in tandem'? So actually you have only elite for power supply? So one decoder can be used only once in few seconds... that sucks for me cause i was planning to build control system

that could change points quickly...

Wired in tandem means that wires from the track goes to the first decoder. You then lead from this decoder to the second and so on.

I have found that the decoders will throw two sets of points before needing a recharge. This is however per decoder,

so if like me with 6 decoders I can throw 12 sets of points simultaneously.

In this respect I have alloted my points to decoders which best suit my layout.

I found One technique to save a space on my point decoder but throw 2 points at once.This is what i did

I removed a SMALL section of rubber casing on the wires( on each wire) then solder the ends of the wires of a seperate point motor with the correct

wires soldered onto the black metal gaps and what ever the first motors programmed for it throws both points at once witha satisfying thunk sound
Forgive me for misspellings

Archived