Hornby Elite to DCC Concepts AD-S8sx

collectors

If i connect a Hornby Elite to DCC Concepts AD-S8sx points decoder & give the 1st point address as 11 then to 18, do i then have to do each one individually?. Also, with two of the above would i just carry on from lets say 19 to 26. I only ask as the honby ones auto alicate the nbext numbers.

The ADS products have a 'Set / Run' switch for each individual port on their circuit boards. Therefore each port address is set individually. This address setting individuality extends to where more than one ADS board is fitted.So if you had say three 8 port boards, that is 24 addresses you have to configure.

There is a very good reason why the Hornby decoders auto configure address ranges and why the addresses you have to set are more tightly defined by Hornby. It is because the Hornby kit configures their addresses on the programming track and uses Hornby specific software routines in the Hornby product firmware.

The ADS decoders on the other hand, like most point decoders are 'self learning'. They are programmed whilst still connected to the main DCC track signal (DCC Bus if one is used) and the controller just sends a single 'Operate this DCC address' command in a DCC Signal data packet when the decoder switch for THAT individual port is in the learn (Set) position. Once the address is learnt by reading the controller sent DCC data signal packet, you put the decoder port switch into the 'Run' position and move on to the next decoder port and repeat the learning process for the next port.

For completeness of information, there are some brands of 'self learning' accessory decoders that auto set ports based upon the address given to the first port on the board. These are typically identified by having ONLY one 'Set / Run' switch on the board even if there are more than one port on it.

Archived