Adress setting Mulitple Locos on Elite

Kiwijohn

Hi - I'm hoping someone may be able to help this new user of DCC "downunder" here in NZ.

I recently upgraded to an Elite unit. When trying to set up my 5 locos I cannot seem to change the address on 2 of them, i.e I take all the locos off the track

and just leave the one I'm trying to program. All seems good but I can't change 2 of them from the address setting they previously had. Does this require a complete re-set of the Elite unit and start again? The Elite booklet does not seem to have a section

on "changing" loco addresses per se.

Changing a loco address is identical to "Second loco programming" on page 10 of the manual. Note that you should use a programming track.

The reason that you can't change the address of 2 of the locos may be due to the type of decoder. If it's an

early Hornby R8215 decoder you will probably find that it will only accept a 2 digit address. The later R8249 decoders will accept 2 or 4 digit addresses.

Thanks RJ - can you tell me if by removing all other locos from the main track is the same thing as having a seperate programming track?

My problem could be related to the type of decoder as the 2 loco's I am having problems with are both much older.

A programming track can just be a single piece of separate track, say an R601 or even an R600 for small models. It should be connected to the "Prog" connectors on the Elite.

The "Prog" outlet is current limited to help protect decoders from burning

out if an installation is faulty and provides the correct programming pulses. Once set up, you will find it far more convenient than doing all the programming on the main track, especially if you ever have point decoders connected to the main track.

Elite: Basic Programming Procedure

Writing a decoder Address:

1) Press Menu button, Loco will be displayed. Press a dial to select loco decoder programming.
2) Direct is displayed. Press a dial to select direct mode programming.
Note:

rotating the dial allows access to other modes of programming, for example, ‘Reg’ and ‘Paged’. Some manufacturer’s decoders will only programme successfully using these two modes.
3) Address is displayed, click a dial. Write will be displayed below Address.

At this point you can choose whether you wish to write or read the address of the decoder.
4) Rotate a dial to select what you want to Read or Write. In this case select write. Press a dial.

You have selected to write an address. The display will

show:

Address
Adr: 0000 (0000 represents the last address written, if any)

Enter the desired address with the key pad or select it by rotating a dial. Press a dial to write the selected address.

Note: The red light on the Elite may

flash a number of times to indicate programming taking place. If the light flashes 8 times, there is a chance that programming may have failed. However, please verify the address has been written to the unit by following the Read procedure. When the programming

cycle has finished the display will show Address.

Verifying the Address has been written correctly on the Hornby R8249 decoder

Note: The R8249 “blue dot” decoder may be read back in Direct, Paged or Reg modes. It is usual to read back

in Direct mode.

Following on from the above writing procedure:
Click a dial. The display will now show Address with Write below. Rotate a dial to select Read. Click a dial. As soon as you click a dial, the Elite will attempt to read back the

address assigned to the decoder.

Thanks to everyone - I'm all sorted. Fantastic replies, I just wish we had this sort of interest and customer service response here down under. I set up a programming track and everything was sweet - all loco's programmed and functional!

Just one

last question, I did in case... but do you have to remove all other locos from the real layout when programming on the programming track?

Archived