New to Scalextric

Scottymcs

Hello all. Remember playing with scalextric has a child with my old man but this time i want to have a go at the whole modeling scene with the scalextrics.

So far i have set a track out which will fit nicely on a 6ft by 4ft peice of MDF. I understand this is a small track but this project is mainly just me getting used to a bit of modelling on a small scale and also a bit easier on the wallet.

Can people point me in the right directions on helping me set up for the first time, websites, videos etc?

Its mainly going to be a countryside look with some sort of lights/street lights around the track.

Many thanks!

Hi Scottymcs - welcome to the forum.

I love a slot car track with great scenery. Most of the techniques will be similar to model railway modelling, except there is usually a compromise between racing and scenery. The main compromise is usually on space - good scenics require lots of space, whereas most slot car racers want to fill the space available with track and cars! So scenery is often reduced to Armco barriers, a bit of grass and a building or two.

If you want to concentrate on the scenery on 6 x 4 foot board, I would suggest looking at Micro Scalextric. The track is 3 inches wide rather than 6 inches with standard Scalextric. The cars are around 1/60 scale, compared to the usual 1/32. That does mean you can have track and space for scenery. With Micro Scalextric, scenery made for OO railways looks good alongside the track and cars. OO is smaller at 1/76 scale, but it means you have a low dry stone wall or fence or sheep are on the younger side. OO gauge buildings can be used in the background and can give a ‘forced perspective’. OO figures don’t look great next to Micro Scalextric cars - you can get figures near 1/64 or 1/60 scale, but they will be a bit more expensive.

I have a small forest of OO gauge fir trees surrounded by dry stone walls and logs to go with a standard Micro Scalextric Rally set that I take to events - it looks good and would be even better if the scenics were permanent. The Micro Scalextric Ford Focus and Peugeot 205 rally cars might be perfect for your plans. Although they are not currently available in a set, they can be bought on eBay and added to a set.

As for inspiration and tutorials for scenic techniques - model railway techniques are what you’re after. Just search online and on YouTube. There are some great YouTube channels, websites and minor celebrities, include one of the judges of the Great Model Railway Challenge, Kathy Millatt: https://www.kathymillatt.co.uk/blog/

In the slot car world, take a look at Hub Habet’s amazing rally tracks: https://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=181530

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the reply help and links. 

I was going to do a micro scalextric layout but the only thing that put me off from doing it was the cars themself lacked detail for me. I might have a pop at it in the future though.

All this layout was is just introduction Into it all. Larger set up will come in the future when I have the space but for now the track setup on the 6x4 is enough for me to have a little fun and Introduce myself into the whole scene of it

Archived