LMS Duchess of Sutherland DCC conversion

Guest Chrissaf

Do not run an unconverted loco on address 0 (zero) or even place it on the dcc track.  It is NOT recommended and can very quickly result in the motor overheating and burning out, especially when the loco is stationary.

but does make a strange wizzing sound even when stationary

As Rog(RJ) says above. That strange wizzing sound when stationary is your electric motor windings turning into an 'electric bar fire' (exaggeration). But seriously though, many manufacturers are dropping Address Zero support from their controllers because it damages the electric motors. If you actually read the Hornby Select manual on Page 16, Hornby state that it "is not recommended"....see highlighted extract below:

/media/tinymce_upload/170e5f3a30f62fb39e4ed0f7a7a20dfc.jpg

There are loads of YouTube videos showing the Hornby Duchess Of Sutherland running as a DCC model with an indication that they were converted by Wickness Models. So that proves it can be done. Unfortunately I cannot find any websites that show any "How To"s for the conversion. Bromsgrove has the Duchess listed in their "How To"s, but with a broken link that doesn't work.

Hi

I have just inherited the LMS Dutches of Sutherland from the Northern Belle set. she runs on DC but does make a strange wizzing sound even when stationary. I am using a select set to .

anyway back to the real question. Can she be converted to dcc. no mention on the box of dcc ready so I suspect some hard wiring and soldering.

anyone know or had a go

cheers steve

hi darth 

all loco's are convertable to dcc , in order to achive this you must isolate the motor from any connections to the chassis ,i am not familar with your paticular loco , but if you open it up around the motor and take some pictures ,you can be guided 

Hi. Thanks I’ve spent what seems like a whole day on you tube looking a conversions. It looks pretty straight forward. I’m going to give it a try at the weeken. If I come unstuck I’ll post some pics

thanks for the help 

Archived